Highlighted

AMD Radeon Pro 5600M and Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with  8gb HBM2 ram an overkill for still photographers in the new MacBook Pro 16in. Also is the card compatible with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.

Looking at this as an option to future proof the device as it isn't upgradeable post.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AMD Radeon Pro 5600M and Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with  8gb HBM2 ram an overkill for still photographers in the new MacBook Pro 16in. Also is the card compatible with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.

Looking at this as an option to future proof the device as it isn't upgradeable post.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 18, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd highly recommend you do some reading in the support foru  regarding Adobe software and the latest MacBooks. Especially the GPU. There are dozens of threads with people whose systems are crashing and not responding and neither Apple nor Adobe seem to be taking credit for fixing the problem. The whole situation is crazy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same question. My son just bought the  16" 2019 MBP with the AMD 5500M and it works with his, but not sure about the 5600M.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has your son bought the 4gb oder the 8gb graphics option?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8GB HBM2 RAM is, for Mac laptops, an unusually powerful and recommended upgrade for high-end video editing, where the tests I have seen are impressive.

But most still-photography image editing applications, including Photoshop, will probably not use much of its speed and power, so for photography only, that card could be overkill and it is not a cheap upgrade. For still photography up to modest video editing, one of the lower-cost graphics upgrades is a better value that will still last a while.

Note that how true that is depends on how much future versions of Photoshop and Lightroom take advantage of GPU acceleration. Both have been steadily adding GPU acceleration to more areas of each application in recent years, but I’m still not sure if that will add up to taking full advantage of the 5600M/8GB HBM2 before you move on to the next Mac after this one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This was very helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest version of Photoshop you need a fairly recent high spec Graphics card - 

• GPU with DirectX 12 support
  • 4 GB of GPU memory for 4k displays and greater

If you dont you may have crashing problems and certain functions, such as Oil Paint will not function !

I have a 3yr old all in one PC with Nvidia GTX 960m Graphics card which is no longer fully  compatible with the latest version of Photoshop. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0