• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animating mesh Photoshop 3D

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am animating a 3D model using the motion timeline in Photoshop. I am just rotating the 3D model in the scene, the only way to do this is with keyframing the 3D meshes component.

The object rotates when viewed in timeline but when I render the video it does not rotate.

However, if I exort it as an animated gif it does rotate.

Does anyone know a work around for this bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These settings worked for me http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/EarthCC2020.mp4 

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to upload the PSD for this object so I can see if it works on my machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PSD document has a 2:1 Aspect ratio. Three layers Background Milkey Way. Above that an Earth Image above that a clouds image. Two Sphere 3D Objects were created using the top two layer Photoshop Preset mesh Sphere.  Bump Maps and Opacity maps were added  then the two 3D sphere layer were merged into a single 3d Layer and the Clouds sphere expanded.  A video time line was created and I animated the two sphere  meshes with rotation key frame. The rotation was in the same direction for the earth and clouds but the rate of rotation differed. I then rendered the MP4.  Uploading the PSD would just give you a working animation.  You need to do it processing correctly. Having a working example is not going to help you the steps have been done.  It would not show anything about the steps done or the order of steps.  See if you can follow the steps I outlined here.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know a work around for this bug?

there are so many possible causes that we can't really help unless you share the file

p.s, Photoshop is the wrong tool for this job... Windows users should try Iclone but there are cheeper software around that can do some things almost as good as Iclone... almost anything is better than Photoshop for this task

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I rendered the 3D model and now the file is 100MB.

Why is Photoshop the wrong tool? They have added 3D motion captures to Photoshop 3D functionality, they are trying to make Photoshop a 3D tool.

There is no other Adobe product that can do this so I am disappointed to hear that I have to use outside tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, After Effects and its Cinema 4D integration might be an Adobe venue to explore...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wrote the animation Rotates save as an animated Gif.  My rotating earth PSD is only 23MB post you 100MB someplace I can download.   Photoshop is not a good 3D application and Photoshop has many bugs and I'm sure Photoshop 3D feature has its share of bugs. I want to see if I can replicate your animation. Perhaps I'll use different steps and my MP4 will work.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree, I think Photoshop has a lot to offer in the 3D space, it just needs to get the bugs worked out. Photoshop and Premier working together does better than Cinema 4D and After Effects for me.

It depends on what you want to get out of your 3D application. When working in vertical for mobile story telling Maya and Blender are no good. Photoshop happens to be the best appliccation for this purpose, I have tried all other methods and even with Photoshop's awful buginess it still provides better vertical workflow solution when combined with Premiere than any other applicxcations.

Here is a link to the PSD https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zSqlhTP7Ke2rCg8ki8ncm8MvZWD6qaEY/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not call that animation rotation.  The MP4 I rendered from your PSD plays on my machine.

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/heyzeus2.mp4 magical material in his armor.

At one time Adobe had something called  Fuse or Maximo that you could animate characters and then somehow sent them to Photoshop. I did not pursue it  for it looked like more work I'm retired work is not for me.  Perhaps its now Adobe Animate or some other Adobe offing. I do remember doing this in Fuse and then generating an Aninated Gif and MP4 in Photoshop. Here is the gif the mp4 does play and the animation seems to have been baked into the .dae file by fuse.

,4Spock.gif

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking at it for me, there is a rotion that is not happening. See if you can get the camera to rotate to face the camera. Here is what it was meant to be, this is the animated gif converted to mp4.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k1Z6dNffVz3txmL3W9KpnEsWUEwpULVA/view?usp=sharing

It is only a small rotation but I have been having trouble with animating meshes for some time.

Yeah, I use fuse and Photoshop, I think the addition on motion captures within Photoshop is a huge step forward for the application and has huge potnetional for mobile, vertical format, story telling.

Thanks again for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

download file

this is actually the link to your file mate... I'll take a look when I get home from work

p.s, JMack, Fuse is end of life now because its only 32bit software and Adobe doesn't care to upgrade it to work on current Mac systems which only allow 64 bit but Mixamo is still around and [for now] the send to Photoshop option still works

Adobe gave a deadline of Sept this year and after that, who knows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Photoshop the wrong tool?

because its out of date and Adobe doesn't care to fix it

• Photoshop is designed to run on Mac which actually means Cpu only... back in the day, it had good 3D options but the world has moved onto using Gpu and Adobe missed the boat

I made this PoC vid in Iclone and my clunky work laptop [i7 12G Ram] took about 45 mins to rendor it... that same file size would take many hours on Photoshop and crash most Mac systems simply because Cpu isn't a good rendor tool

p.s, your Psd file runs fine on my end... did you perhaps forget to rendor the file before exporting it as vid?

now I'm an Adobe fan, I love Fuse and make lots of 3D models in Photoshop but if you really want to learn 3&4D then Adobe has limited options for you... get yourself at least an i7 [Ryzen anything] Windows system running current software and come out of the dark ages mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Yeah, I did render but that doesn't render the entire sequnce, just a frame. I have an I7, 32 GB $2000 machine. Adobe is built for PC. Macs are for hacks is what Adobe users used to say.

I have faith Adobe will get 3D right within a few years. All the models have been made, there is no model that can't be bought. But that will change, they will get cheaper and cheaper.

I remember a time when fonts had to be purchased and arial was as cutting edge as it got. 3D's future comes down to motion capture and lip synching capabilities. And when they finally release Voco there will be no need for voice actors. I will go with who ever gets there first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for lip sync with Fuse models have a look at what miss wetcirrect is putting out with only a Mac + Iphone

https://community.adobe.com/t5/fuse-beta/how-to-lip-sync-fuse-character/m-p/11326974?page=1#M6507

p.s, yes I am old so remember a time when being Apple Mac users didn't get you pitty... good luck to you mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fact is that 3D in Photoshop is buggy and has been getting steadily worse over recent releases, to the extent where I would no longer recommend Photoshop for 3D work. Those bugs affect materials, rendering, keyframes, UVs.

For your particular issue, try saving the file, close and  reopen it and check the keyframes. Some may have vanished. Try re-adding those and resave, close and re-open. Repeat until all keyframes stick and only then try rendering.

A better solution is to use Blender 3D. Almost all items can be keyframed and rendering is both faster and more accurate. You can bring the rendered output back to Photoshop either as a simple 8 or 16 bit 2D rendered image layer, or as a complete set of 32 bit render layers and masks, which you can combine using blend modes in Photoshop.

3D has always been an add on to Photoshop. Most 3D development by Adobe has gone into Dimension, with the increasing bugs in Photoshop being largely ignored. I love using Photoshop, it is excellent for 2D compositing, but for working in 3D - no.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough, I will stop defending it and will get back on Blender.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is only a small rotation but I have been having trouble with animating meshes for some time

just got home last night

• I see clipping at the arms where they go into the side of the body... you can adjust that from the ui

adjust armsadjust arms

• I would also move the background mesh to its own layer or increase the wall size so you don't see the edges when the camera spins (shadows vs extra Ram | rendor time)
  • I am not seeing this head error or any issue with the camera spin at my end... perhaps others get different results?

I'm with Dave that Blender is the best [free] option around right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for taking the time to look at the file, I was at the same stage. I am going to take Dave's advice and give up on Photoshop. Thanks for your help/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines