Annoying Undo behavior. Fixable?

Jan 18, 2010

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Here's my biggest pet peeve about Photoshop:

I'm currently working on Layer A. I select Layer B in the layer palette, then select the move tool (v). I move the layer in XY (not layer order). I release the mouse.  I don't like where I put it, so I hit Undo. (Or step backward in the history)

Photoshop resets Layer B's position, but then it also reselects Layer A! No, stay with Layer B! I just want to move it again! This is especially annoying when I have 100+ layers and Layer A is at the top and Layer B is down at the bottom of the stack.  I have to scrollscrollscroll to get back down to Layer B.

Is there any way to "fix" this? Shouldn't the History Palette record what a layer selection as an step? To me, it seems Undo is really taking TWO steps back (reset layer XY position and reselect previously selected layer).

Actually, we do that all the time (sitting for a while with professionals and watching them work).

Also, most of our developers are serious Photoshop users (photographers, painters, illustrators, etc.).

Photoshop isn't developed in a vacuum.

And what you are describing is not a bug -- just something that some people understand and some people don't about how history and undos work.

As far as I know, it has been there for as long as history and undo have existed in Photoshop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 11, 2011

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Seems a lot of people have this problem, and someone wrote a script to fix it.

See here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1251347#post1251347

Also, note you need to copy the script in the Photoshop/Presets/Scripts folder for it to show in the Scripts menu. Once it's there, you can assign any keyboard shortcut to it - CTRL+Z of course

Photoschop CS3 and up i think.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 12, 2011

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Am I missing something here? You mean command Z right? It doesn't revert to the previously selected layer on my system, and it's not something I remember causing problems in the past decade...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2011

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Nope, they mean "step backward" not undo/redo.

And the bad thing is: our much appreciated engineers got it right in undo/redo, but somehow lost track in step forward / backward.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2011

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2019

Copy to clipboard

Copied

PFFFF. What an absolutely stupid response. This is a design flaw and needs to be corrected ASAP. Apparently you aren't a software professional. If you were you would understand that from a logical UX design standpoint this 'feature' is just wrong. Get it escalated and resolved ASAP if it hasn't already.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 23, 2019

Copy to clipboard

Copied

I'm puzzled - you resurrect a 9 year old thread to talk about a design flaw which was fixed in CC2015?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2019

Copy to clipboard

Copied

The comment was a guy who apparently works for Adobe giving a totally unacceptable totally idiotic response to a totally valid question. And it had a green checkmark next to it saying "CORRECT ANSWER". Just couldn't help myself. Yes I saw that its a very old post. Note that I said it needs to be fixed if it hasn't already. Questions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines