• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone else tired of the subscription system?

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realised the other day that I have now bought Lightroom and Photoshop three times over with my subscriptions and I am not really getting any benefit out of it. I don't need the patches, in fact, patches have caused more issues than the base product and I don't need new versions. If it wasn't for my lightroom catalogue I would have gone off the subscription months ago. Not that the criminals at Adobe let you do that, despite being on it for any serious time, you have to pay up to the time you first subscribed, I mean, who has a system like that?

Anyway, just feeling ripped off and now caught in a cycle. If someone could recomend a product that could convert my lightroom catalog, I would be grateful. Otherwise just here having a semi-official soap box moment.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to also post on the Lightroom (or Lightroom Classic) Forum. 

I myself consider the change to exclusive cloud licensing a regrettable decision on Adobe’s part so I guesss I understand »where you are coming from« but please try to keep a civil tongue so nobody may feel tempted to edit or block your posts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, there was something uncivil in what I wrote? Trust me, I already moderated my feelings on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate that you could easily have been more emotional, but technically »the c…inals at Adobe« seems a fairly strong wording. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand by what I said, what adobe is doing is criminal, in fact, it is illegal in my country, however, because we follow the law of the US we cannot do anything about it. I have a friend on a pension who tried to quit, they said pay us a lump sum larger than what you would pay over the year, or let your subscription run out in 11 months, because histime to have submitted his "written letter" had just passed. So, you can't even just untick a button, you have to write to them to get a cancellation. Criminals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you are spreading falsehoods, which is taking this discussion beyond reasonable debate. The cancellation charges are not larger than the charges that would have been paid. The charges are 50% of the remaining term, i.e. half the remaining charge that you would have paid should you have completed the term to which you agreed.

You can also cancel using you account on line.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a flasehood, that is what I was told. If you have issue with it, not my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you trust people who feed you incorrect information the problem is yours. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are trying to tell me falsehoods, so you seem to be my problem, carry on, I can go all day. I know what I was told, I trust what the person told me. If you don't believe me, search for, "cancel subscription" on this forum and see how many people had issues with the online, "opt out" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sincerely do not understand what the problem is - before signing up for a subscription, it is enough to read the terms of its provision (and cancellation) and there will be no problems. If you are initially not satisfied with its conditions, then why buy and then be indignant?

The topic should be moved to another section. Tags don't match content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Half the EULA's are not even written in readable terms, beside the fact they are book like and if I could BUY the product I wouldn't have an issue, right now I am renting it, which means if I switch I have no way to use old files that require photoshop or lightroom. Which was my original point, just because someone got upset that I think this business practice is criminal is beside the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»You are trying to tell me falsehoods, so you seem to be my problem«

Please give an example of someone on this thread presenting you with a demonstrably false statement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> The charges are 50% of the remaining term, i.e. half the remaining charge that you would >>have paid should you have completed the term to which you agreed.

>>You can also cancel using you account on line.

However, the comment wasn't mean for you, I didn't realise someone else had answered me, oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try searching "cancel subscritopn" on this forum. Took one guy 3 years (apparently).

I also know someone that said that adobe wanted to charge them not just a 50% cancellation fee, but the full 11 months owed and then some extra. However, no one seems to believe this, but that is not my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So? Did anyone ever try to "cancel" a perpetual license? No, they just complained they didn't get the latest features as they were left behind.

Look, all these arguments are false. None of them hold up to any scrutiny.

I get that many people are opposed to subscription. But they should ask themselves what the real reason is, and try to come to terms with that. Figure out what the real problem is. Do they have this issue with their phone company? Or electricity? If not, why not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No-one seems to believe it because that is not Adobe's terms and conditions. Those conditions are clearly visible and linked above.

'I also know someone..........' is not visible and not clear.  Your argument does not hold up and your defamatory language against Adobe employees breaks the forum guidelines. You have the right to speak out against subscriptions here but not to spread false information or to use such language.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is still false information in this thread, so I will add a couple of links which show the reality.

First the cancellation terms :

For the Photography plan the paragraph "Annual Contract Paid monthly applies". Plain language - nice and simple

https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

Adobe's how to cancel page, again plain language - nice and simple:

https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/cancel-subscription.html

Finally a comment from a respected Lightroom expert that shows Adobe is more than reasonable about cancellation. If you cancel Lightroom you can still access your catalogue in Lightroom Classic

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/cancel-cc-subscription-photos/

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To give an alternative perspective, for me, the subscription system is cheaper. I used to purchase the annual updates and the monthly subscription works out to be less cost than the annual update.  When Adobe brought out the Photography plan, more people gained access to Photoshop and Lightroom than ever before.

You asked who else has a system like that? Subscription software is the route that many companies have taken and some of the subscriptions are much more expensive than Adobe's CC packages. I work with 3D, look at Nuke, Maya, 3D Max.... and those are single applications not packages.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure ANYONE has yet bought Photoshop at its previous price. It was $700, which is six years at $10/month. ("Who has a system like that" - well, my phone company does. If you don't do anything at the end of a 3 year contract it starts again, with no opt out until 3 years are up again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me then that American companies are given way too much leeway. Here that would be actually illegal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand this feeling, and you're not wrong. I think so many of us bought our software for $500 - $700, and to be told we don't own it all of a sudden doesn't sit well. And that doesn't mean we thought we "owned" Photoshop. We just thought we owned our copy of it. It's a trend in a lot of industries right now, away from individual ownership, and for me it isn't  harbinger of anything good. That's just my reaction to it.

Curious to see if it's just me (well, me and the OP), I just googled and found this article: The Trend to Renting vs Owning 

which says in part:

The role of IT, as we've known, may well disappear

The implications of this are far-reaching for not only our personal lives, and personal technology suppliers, but for corporate IT. Once IT managed mainframes. Then server farms, networks and thousands of PCs. What will a company need an IT department to do if employees use their own mobile devices, across common networks, using apps that cost a few bucks and store files on secure clouds?

....The trend toward renting rather than owning is monumental. It affects every business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I work in IT as well, I know this is the current trend and that has become the very issue. I am running out of money to subscribe to all the things I "want" to use. Eventually I am going to have to cut back and when I do, rather than just not having the latest version, I am going to have no software at all to make use of the catalogues or PSD files. I don't use this professionally, so I have no actual justification to budget it with what is turning out to be a lot of software. Put on top of that I am having to deal with a fluctuating US dollar, (the one thing adobe has done right, fixed AUD, but trying to increase it), things are getting expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Necron007 wrote:

Eventually I am going to have to cut back and when I do, rather than just not having the latest version, I am going to have no software at all to make use of the catalogues or PSD files.

“No software at all” may not be accurate.

If you cancel, Lightroom Classic still works except for the Develop and Map modules. You would be able to view, print, export with edits, etc. Although you wouldn’t be able to use the Develop module to edit, you do not lose access to the edited versions.

Also, there are more alternatives now. If you cancel, some non-subscription competitors like On1 Raw advertise that they can migrate a Lightroom Classic catalog into their software. There is also a new application called Avalanche that converts catalogs between various applications including Lightroom Classic. I don’t know how effective they are, but they are options.

For Photoshop files, many applications can view or import Photoshop format, but not edit them. To edit layered Photoshop files, Affinity Photo can do that, though not perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any pro/industry-standard software that is not subscription-based these days? I don't think so. Autodesk and Phase One are both subscription, and (as Dave pointed out) Autodesk is on a price level orders of magnitude higher than Adobe.

Affinity perhaps, but they are still upstarts. Rest assured that if they ever get a decent market share, they'll go subscription too. In video, Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve - but they use it partly as marketing for all their other hardware products, which is their main business.

Any others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines