• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple Pencil

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks - I'm very new to Photoshop and noticed on youtube community instructors using connected pen/pads to more efficiently access/use all the tools. My setup for PS is on an iMac...is there a device (or tablet, etc) that can be connected to the iMac that my Apple pencil can use???

Appreciate help/suggestions...thxs!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Catalina Sidecar feature will turn your iPad into a tablet. I'm not sure how Photoshop would handle the pen pressure, etc. but its a start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wacom tablets work on Mac... just be careful about drivers because new Apple OS doesn't like any 32 bit software

if you live near a city or school there should be examples you can test drive before buying... also Wacom is a brand name (what I use myself) but there are other cheeper options around if $ is tight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wacom tablets wont work with Apple Pencil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would skip the iPad.  Go for a Wacom tablet... Huion tablet... Parbolo tablet or even XP-Pen tablet.

Reasoning.... these devices are made specifically for creatives, whereas the iPad is made for the general population.  Thus, they do not take into consideration artists the way the other companies do.  Apple just mass produces things. 

I am a Wacom guy.  No doubt there.  So, if a Cintiq or MobileStudio Pro is too expensive then check out their Wacom One.  It is affordable and quite cool.

But the other companies are ok too, I just know how much thought Wacom puts into their products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh the other thing is.... iPads are still not able to run the full software.  Plus if you ever want to evolve a computer is your best bet. 

My Wacom MobileStudio Pro is a full Windows 10 PC and can hook up to a Mac a second screen as well.  But like I said the Wacom One is worth looking into plus they also have a new LAMY stylus for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanls all for replies...very helpful overall indeed!! For the record what I ended up with was a Wacom Intuos tablet....effectively a mouse with a pen....a whole other and new learning curve which has its own jigs and reels in navigation. I haven't had time to test out in Ps as yet....just getting use to it as a partial replacement for touchpad. No issues with drivers for setup on iMac. Obviously no effective use for an Apple pencil with similar function. Thxs again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you purchase an apple pencil to use with your iMac, or do you have a recent iPad to use it with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had purchased the pencil with iPad Pro.

I went online to determine IF the pencil could be used with some other 'tablet' product (Apple or other) to interface with my iMac to potentially use it with Ps. From what I could find there's no such utility/hardware to make the link/interface happen. I had never planned for the use of the pencil for other than my iPad Pro...i had used it for iPad   business-related tools (individual customer presentations and form filling and related type functions). So this all said it started with me wondering how (if possible) I might be able to link the Apple pencils use for Ps on my iMac.

Cheerio!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious - did Sidecar not work with your iPad Pro and Apple Pencil?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct me if I'm wrong but to use sidecar one would need Catalina OS upgrade and that would only create a whole other mess of application use issues (so I understand...don't need  that risk). I don't need iPad to work with Ps with my iMac in front of me. I also tested "Astropad" - neat app that would allow me to use Apple pencil with a mirror of Ps from my linked iMac - I had a lot of screen-sizing issues that made navigation very difficult on the iPad and just frankly way too much irritation factor...plus a monthly/yearly fee to boot!! I'm not a professional...this is a hobby (photography) where I can 'play' with editing tools in Ps. So I've hit a wall with the pencil...which as I mentioned was NOT my original intended use....just wondered of I could add value for its use if it can be utilized as a pen/tablet combo. Hope this helps....Cheerio!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines