• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying adjustment layer to a group of layers

Contributor ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a method to apply an adjustment layer to a group of layers?

I have a curtain on one layer of a Photoshop CS4 document.

I duplicated the curtain twice and repositioned the copies.

Now I'd like to use an adjustment layer to change the color of my curtains without affecting the rest of the composition (and I can't move the curtains down to the bottom because they need to sit above other elements).

I tried grouping my 3 curtain layers together and then applygin an Adjustment Layer>hue>colorize - but that's affecting the whole composition.

And when the layers are grouped, holding ALT while hovering between the adjustment layer and the group does not bring up the special icon that lets you apply the adjustment just to the layer beneath it.

Would apprecaiate andive on how to apply an adjustment layer to a group of layers.

(I can go back and apply my adjustment to the original curtain then reduplicate and reposition, but would have to repeat that procedure every time change color preference).

Thanks?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Put your layers in a folder, and change the folders blending mode from pass through to normal. You can then put an adjustment layer on the top of the layers in the folder, and it will only affect what is in the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put your layers in a folder, and change the folders blending mode from pass through to normal. You can then put an adjustment layer on the top of the layers in the folder, and it will only affect what is in the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike -

that worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!  Just when I thought there was no use for "normal" mode...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to see this post is still useful 8 years later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still useful till now. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mike, 

I must be doing something wrong, because as soon as I select the Normal blending mode, the adjustment layer no longer works at all. I am trying to use the Levels adjustment on just the layers in a group and it is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removed

Didn't see Mike's message didn't know or may be forgot about that great tip. Thanks Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines