Highlighted

Are add-ons that include better dust and scratch filters and brushes available?

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pshop already has an extensive kit of dust and scratch filters and brushes, so I'm being a bit greedy, but I have at least two problems that annoy me from time to time and I can't help thinking that there must be a better way.  Or maybe not.

First, let me tell a funny story.  A friend recommended a product that Adobe probably regard as a competitor, so I won't mention its name.  It worked very well for my friend so she recommended it to me.  Oh.  It uses artificial intelligence.  My friend uses a digital camera.  I am trying to resurrect slides 40 years old that have suffered a hard life.  The AI has presumably been trained on digital images.  For the few of my images I tested, it struggled to distinguish the pixels forming the image from those forming the splits and splats and splots I wanted to remove.  It became a split, splat, splot enhancer and a face, building and flower remover. 

The filters I seek include: 

A band pass filter: Keep features bigger than P pixels and smaller than Q pixels.

A band stop filter: Keep features smaller than P pixels and bigger than Q pixels, but not features between these parameters.

A filter sensitive to the angle of the blemish.  I have lots of broad streaky blemishes.  They are sort of like scratches, but normal scratch removal strategies are tedious and deliver disappointing results.  I think they might be the debris trails of silverfish.

I'd really like a brush a lot like the spot healing brush but that uses pixels immediately adjacent to the cursor. 

I tried PROXIMITY MODE and that nearly works sometimes, but not well enough and not often enough.

The Fill Content Aware editing procedure works well for big blemishes, but is tedious for numerous small blemished. 

And a smarter scratch removal tool that uses pixels at right angles to the scratch but not those along it.

I'd be willing to pay for a suitable product.  I don't expect to get all of that for free.

Hmmm...  The list of topics below doesn't include Add-Ons.  I've selected plausible alternatives.   

Oh.  I've bought SRDx.  It is disappointing and I use it rarely. 

Topics

Actions and scripting, Feature request, How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Are add-ons that include better dust and scratch filters and brushes available?

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pshop already has an extensive kit of dust and scratch filters and brushes, so I'm being a bit greedy, but I have at least two problems that annoy me from time to time and I can't help thinking that there must be a better way.  Or maybe not.

First, let me tell a funny story.  A friend recommended a product that Adobe probably regard as a competitor, so I won't mention its name.  It worked very well for my friend so she recommended it to me.  Oh.  It uses artificial intelligence.  My friend uses a digital camera.  I am trying to resurrect slides 40 years old that have suffered a hard life.  The AI has presumably been trained on digital images.  For the few of my images I tested, it struggled to distinguish the pixels forming the image from those forming the splits and splats and splots I wanted to remove.  It became a split, splat, splot enhancer and a face, building and flower remover. 

The filters I seek include: 

A band pass filter: Keep features bigger than P pixels and smaller than Q pixels.

A band stop filter: Keep features smaller than P pixels and bigger than Q pixels, but not features between these parameters.

A filter sensitive to the angle of the blemish.  I have lots of broad streaky blemishes.  They are sort of like scratches, but normal scratch removal strategies are tedious and deliver disappointing results.  I think they might be the debris trails of silverfish.

I'd really like a brush a lot like the spot healing brush but that uses pixels immediately adjacent to the cursor. 

I tried PROXIMITY MODE and that nearly works sometimes, but not well enough and not often enough.

The Fill Content Aware editing procedure works well for big blemishes, but is tedious for numerous small blemished. 

And a smarter scratch removal tool that uses pixels at right angles to the scratch but not those along it.

I'd be willing to pay for a suitable product.  I don't expect to get all of that for free.

Hmmm...  The list of topics below doesn't include Add-Ons.  I've selected plausible alternatives.   

Oh.  I've bought SRDx.  It is disappointing and I use it rarely. 

Topics

Actions and scripting, Feature request, How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be worth trying this plugin :

https://topazlabs.com/denoise-ai-2/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Macbeth. LATEST
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Derek,

Thanks for replying. Topaz is the product my friend recommended. I might
give it another try, but the results of my earlier attempts were
hilarious.

I guess these days, people wanting to resurrect 40 year old slides are a
shrinking minority.

Keith

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines