• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are Screen and Multiply the same modes on opposite sides?

Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply 10% Screen, flatten, then 10% Multiply, you will basically have the same looking image as if you didn't apply anything, with only a very slight change in the histogram.

Is this the sound logic? So for each Screen value, there's a Multiply value to counter that?

However, it's interesting that if you apply two layers of both Screen and Multiply without flattening inbetween, you will not have the same image and their positions related to the background will matter too.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Blending uses standardised values i.e 0-255 becomes 0 to 1

Where A is the lower layer and B the upper

Multiply is simply A x B

Screen is 1-(1-A) x (1-B) 

Your numbers above do not mention the values of the upper and lower layer but to keep it simple lets assume you use a start value of 0.5 and multiply by 0.9 (corresponding to your 10%)  then screen using it's invert = 0.1 (again corresponding to your 10%)

The multiply is therefore 0.5 x 0.9 = 0.45

Screen uses 1-(1-A)x(1-B) so that beco

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Blending uses standardised values i.e 0-255 becomes 0 to 1

Where A is the lower layer and B the upper

Multiply is simply A x B

Screen is 1-(1-A) x (1-B) 

Your numbers above do not mention the values of the upper and lower layer but to keep it simple lets assume you use a start value of 0.5 and multiply by 0.9 (corresponding to your 10%)  then screen using it's invert = 0.1 (again corresponding to your 10%)

The multiply is therefore 0.5 x 0.9 = 0.45

Screen uses 1-(1-A)x(1-B) so that becomes 1-(1-0.45) x (1-0.1) = 1- 0.55 x 0.9  = 0.505  so inverting the upper layer value and using screen does not return the value to the start.

Swapping the multiply and screen order gives a result of 0.495 so you will see a difference if you swap the multiply and screen layer order

Incidentally - I get the same results from applying each layer and flattening as I do from adding two separate layers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines