Exit

ARTBOARD BUGS !? canvas, image size problem

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been using adobe for long, but first time I'm using CC, so the issue is:

1. Had defined my size as 1080x1440 on the new file but both the image size and the canvas size changed automatically(not even proportional to my custom) though my canvas size was showing the correct size. ( image size and canvas size is showing diff than artboard size, when I SAVE AS - png, its saving in the image size not the artboard size.

2. when exporting artboard ( i wanted png so cntr+alt+shift+w ) my objects placed on the canvas are getting misaligned. EVEN THOUGH on the artboard canvas its showing proper positioning, when exporting its shifting my entire object location

3. This is surprisingly not happening on every layer, but on random layers and in random order at times. sometimes shifting left sometimes bottom, sometimes more sometimes less. I'm perplexed really !

I have several groups and several layers within those groups. And i need a solution to this soon ! Please help ! I am really confused ! After having defined the size the first thing when we make a new file these things shouldn't happen.

How can i work if my canvas is showing something and when i'm saving its showing something else... ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Artboard documents have an auto expanding canvas depending on the content in the document. This allows you to move content freely around the document view without worrying about whether it will fit on the canvas. The adjusted bounds match internal memory tile sizes for performance reasons, which is why they seem not proportional to you. Normally this is hidden from you by virtue of the "infinite" background outside the artboards, but there are places where the hidden canvas size appears in the u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please confirm the product that you are using from CC so that we can follow up accordingly.

Regards

Rajashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry i forgot to mention im using Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop General Discussion​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions "?? i have several files, documents on a single psd file and i cant rework on them.. I have found a temporary solution but i cant do this as it changes my original alignment.

I make a new file WITHOUT ARTBOARD of the canvas size i had taken originaly , I copy all the groups from my problem file to the new file . This allows me to save WHAT I SEE on the new file, but after moving, the groups have moved relative to the canvas and i have to manually move them again, but since i'm moving all layers together, i have to estimate their position (from the original intended) .

Please help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+

(same problem)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artboard documents have an auto expanding canvas depending on the content in the document. This allows you to move content freely around the document view without worrying about whether it will fit on the canvas. The adjusted bounds match internal memory tile sizes for performance reasons, which is why they seem not proportional to you. Normally this is hidden from you by virtue of the "infinite" background outside the artboards, but there are places where the hidden canvas size appears in the user interface.

The fact that Save As PNG uses the canvas size for the bounds of the PNG is a bug which I hope to fix in the next major release. Have you tried using the File>Export>Artboards to Files... command and then select one of the PNG formats in there?

If you must turn off the the canvas auto-expand functionality, you can. It's in the Artboard Tool Options Gear icon. It is set on a per document basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -
I'm having the same issue trying to export as animated gif. I unchecked 'auto-save canvas' from the artboard tools which seemed to initially work in my 'save for web' window, but when I selected GIF the canvas showed up again (!!). When I tried to change the image size in the 'save for web' size settings, it just distorts it (or gives me an error).. won't export it correctly.

Any idea how to export an animated gif? I can't flatten my layers because they have elements that build on top of one another.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris why is this happening in photoshop? I've never had this issue before until the latest update I've now wasted 3 hours trying to trouble shoot, and am very frustrated. As you can see below, my artboard is one size but on export it looks like the image on the right. Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 4.50.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you use Export As... instead of save for web legacy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I Export As it saved properly, when I Saved As .jpg it saved the same way as above with the large artboard. For this project I'm working on I'm needing to export as a Rendered Video, and when ever I save it keeps saving like what is pictured above, except the transparency is all black and the video playing plays in the square pictured above. So it's a small frame playing in a large window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as, and save for web are not honoring the masking of the artboard. Something on one of your layers is extending beyond the boundaries of the artboard. You either need to find it and remove it, or not use artboards for this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info, I do have a couple of questions.  Why wouldn't Photoshop be set up to work like every other adobe program where what is on the artboard is what is being exported, and is there a way to turn artboards off once a document has been created? I didn't realize this feature was selected when I created the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop artboards are a relatively new feature, same as Export As. It makes sense that they work well together, while the older legacy worflows don’t.

Artboards are only turned on by default with some new document presets. It is primarily intended for web workflows, or UI design. If you pick a print preset, artboards are not created by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advice and info it's very helpful knowledge. I would suggest not having it be automatically defaulted to turn on, or have a warning pop up when they are on informing people of the options. Now that I know what to look out for  I understand the features and the work arounds but a lot of us seem to be wasting hours trying to trouble shoot and getting frustrated that things are not working the way they used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it makes no sense that the size of the artboard should change without any interaction from me...

i was happily making a series of product images, in a set size template, so they would all be relative sizes to one another.. nice guides to help me do that efficiently...

the first 8 worked perfectly. then i placed a new photo - from a different set of images, by a different photographer - and it all went to SUGAR DOUGHNUTS (to paraphrase WHAT THE FRENCH TOAST above)... and am having the same issues as noted numerous times above. and the guides go wiped out around the artboard to the edge of extended canvas of the image that's not actually visible ...

and here's something even weirder - and yes, this is a cross post, but.... - i rotated this last image by 1% counter clockwise... and ALL THE OTHER linked images are now rotated by the same amount... so they are now all crooked, while the one that needed correction is fine. WTFT, again..

i have determined that trimming the image will at least get rid of the excess and allow a CLOSE size to the artboard to export, but it's not relative size - trying to resize in export as/save for web doesn't work, ratio is off so I can't get the right size. THE WEIRD thing is that it LOOKS the same... but the dimensions displayed are definitely not correct.

not sure why artboards were introduced to photoshop if they are not going to work the same (nor as well) as in illustrator.

i will go back to doing these batch files in illustrator... at least i get predictable results there.

and for the love of all that's holy... why does photoshop STILL steal focus when launching? that is so incredibly annoying...

EDIT... i have determined, now, that it's the image rotation that is messing with the artboard/canvas whatever...

i opened a new document, no artboards, set it the same size as previous, placed the same linked photo... tried export... size was perfect...

rotated the image 1degree counter clockwise... tried export... image size is hooped... as above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my canvas 50 x 90. When I create the timeline, all of a sudden its 50 x 1120000, with no way to rescale the canvas.

I will never ever pay for adobe again.

[abuse removed by moderator] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it's not ideal, I found a workaround that serves... for now:

Save for web ( legacy ) > Save Gif

Open Gif in Photoshop > Select empty canvas > Inverse selection > Crop

Repeat Save for web ( legacy ) > Save Gif

Again, not ideal but worked for me

a_new_blue-rabbit_hero.gifScreen Shot 2020-02-14 at 12.08.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work when rendering and exporting videos in Photoshop. It keeps adding a lot of blank space around the image!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So still not sure, what is the solution?

Saving as JPEG explodes the picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm having the same problem? For some reason photoshop is trimming the image size...removing the transparent pixels? And then centering on the canvas...sort of. When I export w/color background, then it works perfect...WHY THE FRENCH TOAST does it mis-align when exporting w/transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue - when using artboards and I try to change the canvas size the dimensions I try to change will jump to it's own random number and I have no control over it. The only fix I've found is to export artboards but that's a pretty slow process unfortunately and doesn't offer the tools I need in "Export for Web and Devices." I hope you all fix this soon.

Thanks,

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same stupid issue, this is infuriating. I cant get work to my client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar problem. In PS workspace everything looks good, but when exporting half of artboard cut's away and huge transparent area is created surrounding the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines