• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to auto-align channels

Engaged ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client that sent me in a really lovely 5 x 7 glass plate color seperation negatives of the female lead of "It's a Wonderful Life" Donna Reed - some perfect Christmas work to be doing! I've manage to scan the three negatives and get those scans into the appropriate color channels. I've painstakingly done my best to align these using the catchlights in her eyes. Right now the face looks pretty good but if I look at the edges of the image, the alignment doesn't seem quite perfect. Is there a way to have Phososhop auto align these? Alternately, is there a way to move where the center of the rotation is when I'm in transform the way you can do with "crop". That way I could put the center of rotation on a catchlight and then move to the edge of the image to rotate until things line up perfectly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

You can't align them in channels. I would put them all as separate layers, align them, then apply them to the channels, using apply image or copy and paste.

If there are just 3 plates for RGB, then you can also put them into the layers, change their blend mode to linear light (add), then add corresponding solid fill layers for each color, set to lighten blend mode and clipped to the respective layers. That way you can see the result in color.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't align them in channels. I would put them all as separate layers, align them, then apply them to the channels, using apply image or copy and paste.

If there are just 3 plates for RGB, then you can also put them into the layers, change their blend mode to linear light (add), then add corresponding solid fill layers for each color, set to lighten blend mode and clipped to the respective layers. That way you can see the result in color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chuck! Sounds like a great idea and I did as you said and now have each of the colors as layers and used the auto align to get them lined up. I've never used "apply image" before and I'm not entirely sure what it does. When I go to apply image, it's grayed out. There are other ways I could deal with this now that the layers are aligned to get them into the appropraite channels but I'm curious about the "apply image" now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just copy and paste each layer, if that's easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use apply image, you would select the channel that you want to fill with a layer. The select apply image, it shouldn't be grayed out at that point. Then in the dropdown menu, select the layer you want to use, and select normal blend mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you...I got it all sorted using your advice. Looks great now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is auto-align function from Edit > Auto-Align Layers which work with layers.

When transforming you can move the center reference point anywhere you want. If you do not see reference point when transforming then click inside Toggle reference point which is in the options bar.

toggle reference point.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! Really nice to know how to engage the center point. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got permission from the client to post this image reduced and with a watermark. Chuck Uebele's technique was used to align the layers. I had though I had it pretty good doing it manually but this is definitly better. Thanks again Chuck!watermarked.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm trying to understand what gives this a unique retro color look. I wonder if the same color character would occur if you replaced the film with digital sensors.

If you're interested, here's the negs in the scanner...

Reed on scanner.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure. Different films have/had different spectral sensitivity, so there most likely would be some difference, but it would be interesting to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an article about the sort of camera likely used to take the photo: http://www.vintagephoto.tv/bermpohl_img.shtml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always wanted to play with that type of camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a bit of research and found out this photo was taken by Harry Warnecke and/or Gus Schoenbachler. Apperently they built their own camera systems but this one you link to here is just lovely. These were 5x7 glass plates. I consider myself fortunate to get this job in.

https://npg.si.edu/exhibit/exhwarnecke.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines