• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-align One Layer to Match a Fixed Layer?

Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to figure out how to do this for years.

I have one layer that's perfect. I want to bring in another layer and align it to the first layer -- but I don't want that first layer to be altered at all. I just want the new layer to auto-align to the existing layer.

I cannot figure out a way to do this, and I've searched and googled and come up empty handed.

Can this be done?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Hi

Are you sure? When I try it here the canvas is extended to accommodate the new layer but the locked layer is not distorted.  The crop tool can then be used immediately after align to crop back down to the original image size based on the untouched layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried locking the layer that you don't want to move?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many times, and it has no effect. The locked layer is still resized during an Auto-align action. Hence my puzzlement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Are you sure? When I try it here the canvas is extended to accommodate the new layer but the locked layer is not distorted.  The crop tool can then be used immediately after align to crop back down to the original image size based on the untouched layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that many times but never gotten it to work. I'll try it again now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't get that to work. When I select Auto-align from the Edit menu with two layers selected, one locked, the two layers are aligned, and the locked layer ends up unlocked and altered. I've tried this with a layer that's locked as a background, and by locking a layer manually from the layer menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I think you're probably right! I thought the locked layer was being shrunk because I could see that the canvas was enlarged, but I may be completely wrong about that. The original image remains the same and only the canvas changes on that image (as the other layer is altered).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If in doubt, try this test.

After aligning, turn off visibilityof the upper unlocked layer so you can only see the locked layer with its extended canvas. Use the crop tool to crop the canvas to the original size. Now drag another copy of the lower image above that locked layer and set blending mode to difference. If both are identical it will look completely black.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you get the image back to the original size after the canvas has been expanded?  I have a long series I am attemptin gto align and want to be able to do them in sections aligned to the original image. Having to manually crop it back to the original size makes that impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just control-click the original layer and Image > Crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried every combination of clicking and selection. Click on the image, click on the layer list.  Nothing is ever selected and crop is never enabled.  Shoud ctrl-click have just selected the full context of the original image on that layer?  I can see that the size of the original layer is unchanged but can't figure out how to select it's boundaries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK; so i didn;t try everything.  I wasn't clicking on the image in the list which did cause the selection.  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think locking actually does work, but I've been fooled all this time by the fact that the canvas is enlarged, which made me think the locked layer was being shrunk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barbara and Dave -- you were right all along.

I'd tried locking the layer, but as I mentioned earlier, because Photoshop expanded the canvas, I assumed it was altering the size and shape of the locked layer (also because Auto-align unlocked that layer).

But once I crop down to the original size of the locked layer, I see that it remains unchanged.

Thanks again. I can finally use Auto-align the way I want!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We really need a new and working version of auto align!  Auto align is currently broken and has been for years.  Why is adobe letting all these 3rd party apps beat them at something so major?  We should really be able to auto align most images now perfectly, including handheld.  Photoshop can't even auto align 2 photos when you are basicly perfectly stable.  It currently does a terrible job and I know it could be improved with a little attention.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines