Auto crop and/or auto separate bulk scanned photos?

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will soon be scanning hundreds of photos and wondering the best way to do it.  I will be using a commercial copier to scan so I have a large area to lay all the photos on.  I'm debating on doing one at a time which will likely leave uncropped white space with most photos, or laying as much down as I can to scan all on one swipe.

If I do one at a time, does Photoshop or any other CC app have a way to auto crop out the extended white areas of which can probably also work in batch processing?

If I scan multiple at one time, does Photoshop or another CC app have a way to auto separate each photo on that scan into individual JPGs?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, Feature request, How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi it will not detect which photo is good or bad scanned but you can crop them using the batch process...regards

Ali Sajjad

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@VicoDrive wrote:

If I scan multiple at one time, does Photoshop or another CC app have a way to auto separate each photo on that scan into individual JPGs?

Yes, when you have a single document containing multiple images surrounded by white space, try the Photoshop command File > Automate > Crop and Straighten Photos.  It will split them out into multiple documents.

@VicoDrive wrote:

If I do one at a time, does Photoshop or any other CC app have a way to auto crop out the extended white areas of which can probably also work in batch processing?

Yes, if you have a single image with a uniform background, you can choose Image > Trim (same link as above, but near the top of the page). You can set it up to trim all pixels of the same color inward from any side or all sides, stopping at the edge of the photo. But the background must be the exact same solid color. For example, if the scan has a pixel near the edge that’s 1% different than the rest of the background, Trim will stop there, so there will be untrimmed space remaining between that pixel and the photo.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are threads on this subject of scaned images and action that can be batched that uses crop and straighten to automate the process.  One thread dealt with a stamp collection  being scanned  from a stamp  collection book, The action first removed the scanner bed background then user crop and straighten to remove the book page background.  Search the forum before asking questions yoy will get the answer faster that way.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/is-there-a-way-to-add-padding-to-the-automated-crop-and-str... 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/how-to-crop-a-large-batch-content-aware/m-p/11835235 

JJMack

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines