Highlighted

Automatic .jpg file name extension not working?

New Here ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently my mac to Mojave 10.14.5 and am still using Photoshop CS6. Before I updated, when I have a named and saved photoshop document up, I was able to go to the Save As... and when I chose JPEG as the file type, the name of the file extension would automatically change to .jpg. Now however, when I choose JPEG as the file type, it just adds " copy.psd" to the end of the file name instead. It's very annoying having to change it manually every time. How do I change this? If the document isn't saved or named, the automatic .jpg change works but not once I name and save the document.

Views

Translate

Translate

This conversation has been locked.

Automatic .jpg file name extension not working?

New Here ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently my mac to Mojave 10.14.5 and am still using Photoshop CS6. Before I updated, when I have a named and saved photoshop document up, I was able to go to the Save As... and when I chose JPEG as the file type, the name of the file extension would automatically change to .jpg. Now however, when I choose JPEG as the file type, it just adds " copy.psd" to the end of the file name instead. It's very annoying having to change it manually every time. How do I change this? If the document isn't saved or named, the automatic .jpg change works but not once I name and save the document.

Views

Translate

Translate

May 22, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As you're running Photoshop CS6 on macOS Mojave, we recommend that all customers should update to the Photoshop CC 2019 release prior to updating to macOS 10.14 Mojave. Older versions of Photoshop were not designed, nor extensively tested to run on macOS Mojave.

Please check this article to know more: Known issues - Running Photoshop CC on macOS 10.14 Mojave

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

May 22, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EastCoastCC  wrote

It's very annoying having to change it manually every time. How do I change this? If the document isn't saved or named, the automatic .jpg change works but not once I name and save the document.

Hi

Are you saying that you are saving a .psd and then retyping the extension and changing it to .jpeg? That won’t make it a jpeg. It will make it a psd with a jpeg extension. (Or maybe I misunderstood?)

If you have a file with layers, the default is to save it a Photoshop. When you select jpeg, layers should be unchecked because jpeg does not support layers.

Can you show the Save As dialog where you have selected jpeg?

CS6 and Mojave are likely to have issues. CS6 works best on old operating systems.

Jane

Translate

Translate

May 22, 2019 1
New Here ,
May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are misunderstanding

I am having the same issue using CS6 on Mojave

Working with a PSD file "File.psd" I go to Save As
- I change Format to PNG

- It automatically checks the box "Save as a copy" as per normal
- But the filename changes to "File copy.psd"
- I need to manually go into the Filename box and change the psd to png in order to save my file properly

The extension should automatically change when you change the Format

Anyone found a solution?

Translate

Translate

May 27, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OPTIONS:

1. Restore Preferences.  Backup your custom settings beforehand. 
    Preferences in Photoshop
  2. Get  the latest Photoshop CC which is compatible with your newer OS.  Free 7-day trial available.
    Free Photoshop | Download Adobe Photoshop full version
Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

May 27, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- change the destination folder, then the extension and file type appears to work ok..

- I'm using CS6 under Mojave, don't do subscriptions after paying for CS Extended Suite, Good enough for me..

Translate

Translate

Sep 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that isn't the issue. I'm running Photoshop CC2019 and I have the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Dec 21, 2019 2