Highlighted

Automating Source and Destination folders for 2-step Batch actions?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 complex sets of actions (image attached)

• The first set has 21 actions — Each action resizes a folder of images into a particular image size and resolution, appends each file name with that size, and then saves each file as a PNG. 
  • The second set runs through each of the first set's actions, one after the other so you can batch resize a folder of images into multiple image sizes and resolutions, append all the file names, and save them all as PNGs...

The problem is that the second set pops up a window EVERY time you hit a new size, asking for the source and destination folder... Is there any way to set the source and destination folders once at the beginning, and have it apply to all the actions in the second set? Multiple users will have to use these actions, so they'll each have different source and destination folders... 

I don't know how to code, but I'm techy and can figure stuff out... 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, How to, Mac, Make It

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Automating Source and Destination folders for 2-step Batch actions?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 complex sets of actions (image attached)

• The first set has 21 actions — Each action resizes a folder of images into a particular image size and resolution, appends each file name with that size, and then saves each file as a PNG. 
  • The second set runs through each of the first set's actions, one after the other so you can batch resize a folder of images into multiple image sizes and resolutions, append all the file names, and save them all as PNGs...

The problem is that the second set pops up a window EVERY time you hit a new size, asking for the source and destination folder... Is there any way to set the source and destination folders once at the beginning, and have it apply to all the actions in the second set? Multiple users will have to use these actions, so they'll each have different source and destination folders... 

I don't know how to code, but I'm techy and can figure stuff out... 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, How to, Mac, Make It

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not know how to code how are you able to change image files images aspect ratio for what your action need them to have so the actions can resize the images to have the number of pixels shown in the action name. None of you Action are expanded so we can see what they do. There would need to be some plug-in used to make the required Aspect Ratio image crops so the images can be resized without distortion. You seem to have several Portrait  aspect ratios as well as square 1:1 aspect ratios actions.

image.pngimage.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is only one phase of a whole process before we get to resizing, so the folder of images are always the same size... In these actions I've used a combination of Image Size and Canvas Size to crop down to the final sizes.

ScreenShot2.pngScreenShot3.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those actions are doing a constrained resize to some width or height and not changing the canvas size after the resize to add or crop the document canvas to the size in the  Actions name.  Therefore the image aspect ration are not altered and will very likely not be the size in the action name.  The Action names have several portrait aspect ratios and also square aspect ratios.  The saved files will not be the sizes in the actions names. The Square Aspect ratio action may crop or add canvas to the image so the file  will be the correct canvas size. Image content may be cropped from two sides or boarder added to two sides. Most likely boarder added to the left and right sides since you seem the have portrait images and you resize the  image height therefore the image width will be less than the image height so whem you change the canvas size width to match the height boarders will be added.  If the document has a background layer the added canvas will be the background color.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "ImageResize" actions are all working properly. 

The problem I'm having is with my second set of actions "Multi-ImageResize," which runs each of the ImageResize actions one after the other... I would like that to run seamlessly without popping up a window each time asking you to set the source and destination folders... 

As I am sharing these actions with creative teams around the world, and making a guideline for how to use them, I would like to give those teams the ability to set their own SOURCE and DESTINATION folders once, at the beginning...

Sometimes they only have to resize one image into 21 sizes, so it's a lot of repetetive entries... 

Does that make sense? 

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 10.59.08 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it sounds like the second step that references the first step is the problem.

Perhaps you could use a different method, and or dupe the first set and remove the offending steps.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/Image%20Processor%20Pro/v3_2%20betas/

ipp.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, that doesn't have .PNG as a save option. 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, @SK1234567890 did you check? Image processor does not have PNG (vote here) https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-add-png-also-to-ps-image-processor/...

But Image Processor Pro does, click on the 'file type:" drop-down...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a global corporation, most people are not allowed to download other tools without IT approval... As I am sharing these actions with creative teams around the world, and making a guideline for how to use them, it's not feasible to have them all download a new tool... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and sorry, I can't vote for your post in Adobe Family because corporate accounts are not supported.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 1
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really... Overide Open tells the script to ignore acctions that open files, but none of my actions use that... And Overide Save As tells the action to use whatever was previously set in the action it's referencing—which I don't want to do because I want this to operate independently... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've seen the attachment, now I get it...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 1
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can write is you posted a list of 21 resizing actions where there are 7 different aspect ration in the action names sizes. The only action you poster that was expanded the did anything change a document Aspect Ration was the  one that forced the document width and height be the same.  The other expanded actions did not change the document aspect ratios. they did  constrained resizes.  At least one action has a "Savs As" step and an "Export" step. I know Batch can override saves  I do not know if Batch can override export.  Export is a relatively new  Photoshop feature designed for exporting web image and has limitations. Where Batch, Save and Save As have been around for decades. You state the resize actions work correctly I do not believe they do.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you thnk they don't work?

As I said, this is part of a multi-step process, so by the time we get to this step, our images have already been placed in a template with shadows and reflections added, and are all the same size...  Starting with a folder of images (where each is 3200x4000, has a transparent background, and contains product image aligned to a baseline) these actions I have specified (1) scale via Image Size proportionately, and then (2) if needed, add height, width or both using the Canvas size...

The lone export you saw was a mistake that I added while I was testing... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what they look like: 

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 5.42.02 PM.png  Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 5.43.10 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0
JJMack LATEST
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I see those actions look good.  Still If they were mine I would remove all the Save steps in the the actions and batch the 21 Action recording 3 Image Processor Pro steps in an action. Like other have written. Where each step would batch 7 actions. If the Source and destination folders  are always the same you would just need to play the action no other interaction will be needed.  If the source and destination are not always the same you would make the three steps interactive so you can chose the source and destination.  The 7 actions will be setup in the three IPP steps all you need do is make two selection three times during the three batches. This way the source file will only be open three times once for each of the 3 batch steps not 21 times for 21 batch steps like you seem to do now. Scripts have better option for saving files than actions and the image processor pro will save versions and not overlay existing files. no existing file will be destroyed

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0