Exit

Automating the conversion of dxf to png

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current process, that I'd like to automate, goes like this:

AutoCAD save as dxf

Illustrator open dxf, select all, adjust stroke/fill/lineweight, Ctrl-C to copy to clipboard

Photoshop create new 1600x900, white background, 72ppi, paste as Smart Object, paste at 75% of original size w/fixed aspect ratio; Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S to invoke old 'save for web' command, save as PNG, close file without saving.

End of process

I have got the Illustrator Action built and it seems to work. Up til now, I'd open the dxf, run this action that at the end would copy contents to the clipboard. I'd then flip over to PS, Ctrl-N new, paste as Smart Object, set prefs and then save out as PNG.

This works well in one by one fashion, but I'm hoping to automate it further with actions in both Illustrator and Photoshop, performing it in two separate batch operations, one in Illustrator & one in Photoshop.  However, in my limited understanding, I would need to save out the edited dxf from Illustrator, in order to create a set of .ai files that I could then perform another batch operation on from Photoshop. However my batch process in PS seems to run without errors but also produces no output.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?