• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bad Crashing with Camera Raw with PS 22.1.0 update

Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just "updated" to PS 22.1.0 and am experiencing the worst repeated crashes with Camera Raw. I loaded a JPG file into Camera Raw (as the CR.2 was not available for this file) I went to Detail Controls to adjust sharpening/masking. Got the spinning beachball, which would not resolve. Could not even force quit. I have NEVER had that bad a crash on this computer. I restarted & tried again with same result.

EDIT: I reset PS Prefs, and this bug is still present. If I open a file in Camera Raw, and touch either Sharpening or Masking in Detail control options, I get a total system crash requiring hard restart. Force quit will not work. The timing of this bug is consistent with installation of the latest PS update: 22.1.0. This appears to be linited to TIF/JPG files as I just tested with a .CR.2 and the issue did not repeat. (I typically only porcess CR.2 files, but occasionally open smart layers or older files in Camera Raw)

Checking here to see if this is a common bug or if I just have corrputed Prefs. Anyone else having this or similar issue?

This brings me to an old issue: There are many prefs settings that need to be manually reset after resetting prefs. Why can't those misc settings be remembered as others are? Resetting prefs should not be so arbitrarily time cosnsuming!

MacPro late 2013 / OS 10.14.6 / PS 22.1.0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Probably a buggy video driver crashing ACR. Yes, the GPU is used for a lot of actual data processing these days.

Go into Camera Raw Preferences (not Photoshop) and uncheck "use GPU". This doesn't solve the problem, but if the crashing stops you know where the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably a buggy video driver crashing ACR. Yes, the GPU is used for a lot of actual data processing these days.

Go into Camera Raw Preferences (not Photoshop) and uncheck "use GPU". This doesn't solve the problem, but if the crashing stops you know where the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well I think you nailed it. I disabled GPU in Camera Raw & had no issues. I suspected SOMETHING was going south in this old machine, but couldn't locate the source. (late 2013 MacPro)

Question is, should I disable Graphics Processor in Photoshop prefs? And if I did that, how would perfomarnce be impacted? As a retoucher, I typically work with huge multilayred files. Efficientcy is critical.

Thanks for your excellent solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines