• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basic functions don't work in PS CC 2021

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently upgraded to PS CC 2021 from Elements 15. Using Windows.

Despite seeing help articles giving the same advice for very basic functions which were the same as Elements, they simply do do work on my PS!!!

Firstly, I cannot select a layer and drag it to a new postion using the Move tool. I can use the arrow keys to nudge it, but can't drag it. I select the required layer but when I try to move it, it selects a random adjustment layer and moves that instead!

Also, I can't view a single layer by pressing Alt+ the visibility eye of the layer. Nothing happens. If I want one layer visible I have to turn off all the other individually!

Plus I can't find the photo bin at the bottom of the screen. I could then drag and drop images from there to new layers in Elements but can't find this in PS.

Any help would be appreciated as I assumed it would do at least what Elements could do.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I select the required layer but when I try to move it, it selects a random adjustment layer and moves that instead!«

What are the Move Tool’s settings? Please post a meaninful screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible. 

»Also, I can't view a single layer by pressing Alt+ the visibility eye of the layer.«

Again: Screenshots please … 

What happens if you ctrl-click the Layer’s visibility-icon. 

»Plus I can't find the photo bin at the bottom of the screen.«

What’s that supposed to be? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen capture or two demonstrating the issues. These screen captures enables everyone to see whether there is some setting or item checked, such as Auto Select when working with layers.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

1. With the move tool selected, go to the options bar and uncheck "Autoselect"

2. Alt +click on the visibility icon works here to show a single layer - you must click on the icon though

3. Photoshop Elements is a cataloguing app as well as an editor. Photoshop does not catalogue. For that you need Bridge or Lightroom

Dave

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure it's not a Background layer that you are trying to move in the Layers panel.

Double click on the Background layer to change it to a Normal layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for your input.

I shut PS down and re-opened it and now the move tool and layer visibility are now working as expected!!

Thank you Dave davescm with regards to the third point. Shame it's not a feature carried over to the full version as I found it quite useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have the Photography plan then you can download and use either Bridge or Lightroom (or both).

If you have a single app Photoshop plan then you can still download and use Bridge.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines