Batch Automate Action Grabs Arbitrary File for "Place" Command

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I’m running Photoshop 2021 (22.1.0) on Mac OS Catalina (10.15.7). I’m having a really curious problem with Batch Automating an Action that I wrote for a weekly job. This problem has just appeared in the past few weeks; I had been previously Batch Automating this Action for months with no problem.

My Action works like this:

- Open existing .jpg
- Crop to a specific size
- Place a second .jpg as a new layer (for the sake of describing the issue, let’s call this “Placed_File.jpg”)
- Set Blending Mode for the new layer
- Flatten image
- Save and close

Placed_File.jpg exists on a network drive, as does the folder full of images that I am Batch Automating. Placed_File.jpg never changes and never moves; it remains in the same spot from week to week. They are on the same network drive, but are separated by a few folders, if that matters.

The problem that has been happening recently is that the Batch Automate will fail, and when I read the Error Log, the reason it fails is because Photoshop fails to parse the file on Place command (third step in the above list). The reason why it can’t parse the placed file is because of instead of my Placed_File.jpg file, Photoshop is trying to place a seemingly arbitrary file — two weeks ago, it tried to grab an .indd file from a completely different location on my network drive; this week it tried to place a shortcut to one of my company’s digital presses. Like I said, a really weird problem!

I can easily fix the problem each week by going into the Action, double clicking the “Place” command and “re-teaching” the Action where the Placed_File.jpg exists, but this kind of defeats the purpose of Batch Automation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Batch Automate Action Grabs Arbitrary File for "Place" Command

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I’m running Photoshop 2021 (22.1.0) on Mac OS Catalina (10.15.7). I’m having a really curious problem with Batch Automating an Action that I wrote for a weekly job. This problem has just appeared in the past few weeks; I had been previously Batch Automating this Action for months with no problem.

My Action works like this:

- Open existing .jpg
- Crop to a specific size
- Place a second .jpg as a new layer (for the sake of describing the issue, let’s call this “Placed_File.jpg”)
- Set Blending Mode for the new layer
- Flatten image
- Save and close

Placed_File.jpg exists on a network drive, as does the folder full of images that I am Batch Automating. Placed_File.jpg never changes and never moves; it remains in the same spot from week to week. They are on the same network drive, but are separated by a few folders, if that matters.

The problem that has been happening recently is that the Batch Automate will fail, and when I read the Error Log, the reason it fails is because Photoshop fails to parse the file on Place command (third step in the above list). The reason why it can’t parse the placed file is because of instead of my Placed_File.jpg file, Photoshop is trying to place a seemingly arbitrary file — two weeks ago, it tried to grab an .indd file from a completely different location on my network drive; this week it tried to place a shortcut to one of my company’s digital presses. Like I said, a really weird problem!

I can easily fix the problem each week by going into the Action, double clicking the “Place” command and “re-teaching” the Action where the Placed_File.jpg exists, but this kind of defeats the purpose of Batch Automation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 28, 2020 0

Have something to add?