• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Conditional Action Save (overwrite not Save As)

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to perform a Conditional Action, and then overwrite the original file and close. I can't seem to achieve the overwrite. In the recording of the action, the option to just Save is not available (only Save As). And in the Batch settings, it's awful confusing, and then best I've been able to achieve is Save As, and they all end up on my desktop, not in the original folder. I know this is possible! Can anyone guide me?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»the option to just Save is not available«

Save is in pronciple possible in Actions if it is possible in the current situation – so for example if you added Layers to a jpg you need to make the image conform to jpg’s possibilities again before being able to save it »plainly«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very odd, I wonder if it's a bug, but I had no layers, just a flat Jpeg and Save was not available. However, if I made one tiny irrelevant modification to the image (I tried a transparent tiny paintbrush stroke) then all of a sudden, Save became an option again.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, naturally Save is only available if an image can be saved, if it has not been changed at all  there is nothing to save. 

One should try never to re-save jpgs, the lossy compression degrades the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which script you are using for Batch processing? File > Automate > Batch, I guess. That script offers to overwrite Save As command. If you want to use Save command then @c.pfaffenbichler gave you good explanation.

All action steps are independent, can be played on its own but... each and every step has dependency like previously explained: particular command which should be executed must be available in menu like some layer or particular layer must be selected or pixel based layer must be selected to apply filter, or some changes must be made to activate Save command like in your case and so on... Confusing part is that you can record step which may not be available for execution when playing action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The action panel menu offers an insert menu item so that certain commands can be inserted , which is not a magic bullet but still useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines