• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner composite vector mask/layer mask help needed

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've cut out 3 elements using pen tool and created vector masks.  

I now want to use a layer mask to paint in black or white to show through layers underneath - but it won't let me do it.

I've tried to rasterize each layer but it still doesn't work.  

What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

The Path can be converted to a selection.

Capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you show screenshots of what you have going in your layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I've poped in a screenshot.  Really basic I know but I just want to reveal and hide bits of each layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 10.48.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add both  a raster layer mask and a vector layers mask to a layer only the areas that are visible in both mask will be visible in the layer . The intersection of the two selections.... It like masking a shape... If you want a layer mask to apply to more then a single layer you need to duplicate the layer mask for each layer or group the layers and mask the group.  Masks hide pixels.  You hide upper layer pixels to show lower layer pixels in the hidden areas of upper layers

Capture.jpg 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJMack.  I was using the pen tool for the first time to make the selection in cutting out, I've used the selection tool before and had no problems.

I tought the pen tool was better for selecting?  

You've helped me understand vector masks a bit more.  I'm going to try mglush's idea below first....here goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

If you have a Vector mask associated with a layer, you can Command-click on the mask icon in the Layers panel to create a selection, Once you have an active selection, go to the Select menu and choose Save Selection. Do that for all three of your masks. If you are aboe, click on each Vector mask one at a time, and in the Path's panel, click on the active path, and choose Save path. This should allow you to save your path for a later time and then go back and delete the vector mask from the layer.

Once you delete the Vector mask, with the Layer selected, go to the Select menu and load the selection you saved and click on the Layer mask icon at the bottom of the Layers panel.

Let us know if that works!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mglush,  I've also attached screenshot of my layers (probably looks a mess but I am a beginner,lol).  Just trying your solution....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...not sure what I've done with the dragon layer.  When I double click on it I get the blending options panel so I think I've rasterized it?  There is no save option in Paths for this but has worked with the boy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it looks like you rasterized the layer. You can tell because of transparent background. It looks like JJ has taken care of your other questions! Have fun wiht your project and let us know if you have any other issues.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 11.05.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS  I used the pen tool for the first time, usually use selection tool.  Is there a way with pen to create a selection rather than vector?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Path can be converted to a selection.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great!  Thank you very much for showing me.  Much appreciated .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines