• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner question, mergeing layers

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest Photoshop 2020, after I highlight the layers I want to combine I don't see a Merge Layers command in the drop-down list. There is Merge Visible, Merge Shapes and  Flatten Layers but no Merge Layers.

An easier way would be to not add new layers each time a shape is generated but keep photoshop from creating a new layer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no merge selected layers.  Unless Merge Down (Ctrl+E) now labled Merge Layers in the layer menu has been  enhances from just merging down one layer.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ctrl/e command worked although I would still like to know how to stay on whichever layer you choose and to continue to create new shapes on that layer without creating new layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl/cmd-E is merge layers, and will merge all selected layers. They should be next to each other in the layer panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They may not need to be together. Layers seem to be merged up to the top selected layer however the document overall composite can be dramatically different then before the merge the merging order and position would be changed. I would think one would normally only want to merge adjacent layers.  Not Odd layers.

Capture.jpg

Also if there are targeted layers  (Ctrl+E) will show as merge Layers in the history palette.  If the is only the Active layer and (Ctrl+E) is used it will show as Merge down in the history palette and the current layer will be merged into the lower layer and the become the active layer with the name the lower layer had where merge layers merge all the lower targeted layers into the top most targeted layer and become the active layer with the upper layer's name. So Ctrl+E is both Merge Layers and Merge down depending conditions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ctrl/e command worked although I would still like to know how to stay on whichever layer you choose and to continue to create new shapes on that layer without creating new layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines