Highlighted

Behavior has changed when trying to move a PNG image with transparent background MUST select pixels

Enthusiast ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I have now reinstalled Photoshop CC on a newer Mac I was able to move my logo signature by simply choosing with the move tool anywhere on the logo which has a transparent background. NOW, I MUST select pixels and is laborious to do as the logo has thin lines that are difficult to select at a smaller size. Nothing has changed but I'll guess there is a setting that is different now with the re-install as I've spent days now changing settings and preferences to make Photoshop like it was only a few days ago before I re-installed.  Any ideas what would cause this behavior? I've posted my logo screen shot to give an idea of what I am doing. If I select 'transform' for the logo, which I do to re-size, I can then move by putting the cursor arrow anywhere over the logo, but if I hit return to get rid of the transform box, I then have to select pixels only to grab the logo with the move tool. 

I use this a lot so would appreciate anyone helping to put this behavior back to being able to move this logo without having to select pixels only.

TIA,

Ken
Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 7.49.03 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

With the move tool selected uncheck "AutoSelect" in the options bar. Normal service will resume 🙂

Dave

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Behavior has changed when trying to move a PNG image with transparent background MUST select pixels

Enthusiast ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I have now reinstalled Photoshop CC on a newer Mac I was able to move my logo signature by simply choosing with the move tool anywhere on the logo which has a transparent background. NOW, I MUST select pixels and is laborious to do as the logo has thin lines that are difficult to select at a smaller size. Nothing has changed but I'll guess there is a setting that is different now with the re-install as I've spent days now changing settings and preferences to make Photoshop like it was only a few days ago before I re-installed.  Any ideas what would cause this behavior? I've posted my logo screen shot to give an idea of what I am doing. If I select 'transform' for the logo, which I do to re-size, I can then move by putting the cursor arrow anywhere over the logo, but if I hit return to get rid of the transform box, I then have to select pixels only to grab the logo with the move tool. 

I use this a lot so would appreciate anyone helping to put this behavior back to being able to move this logo without having to select pixels only.

TIA,

Ken
Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 7.49.03 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

With the move tool selected uncheck "AutoSelect" in the options bar. Normal service will resume 🙂

Dave

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 22, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Have you tried placing the signature as a Smart Object? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I convert that layer with the signature logo to a smart object it freezes the layer and cannot be moved at all. I have the .png graphic file open and drag the layer onto the photo document, have done this for years with no problem on the older Mac computer. Screen shots posting here... Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 11.27.45 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-23 at 11.28.30 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Check the box to Show Transform Controls on selected layer.
  2. Use Ctrl/Cmd + A to select all.
  3. Ctrl+C to copy.
  4. Go to 2nd image.
  5. Ctrl+V to paste.
  6. Keep logo/signature in a native PSD file.  No reason to use PNG except on the web.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 2
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original PSD file is on two layers, one is the graphic signature on a transparent background, then, the layer above is a type layer which I use to put the date of the shoot. I sandwiched these two into a png file as it then give me a single layer to work with an not two separate elements which could easily become separated. Maybe instead of saving as a png I could just 'merge down' the type layer, thus rasterizing it and then just drag that layer over to the new open document. What do yo think Nancy?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can flatten or merge layers if you wish.  But I prefer to keep my layers editable in PSD files.  At some point in the future, you may wish to change your signature or remove it entirely.  You can't do that easily in flattened images. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, I will add everything you have suggested as advisement to consider how I am doing things now and how I can improve in the future. I'm not certain now, but you have me thinking about this Nancy and I know your comments are going to benefit and streamline how I handle this in the future. Thank You.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 2
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davescm - That's it! Old behavior restored! Thank you sir. This helps greatly and I appreciate your help very much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: I wonder what on earth "Auto-Select" is for. It can't be thre only to throw me off track. There must be some reason for it so I can use or avoid in the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I've studied and learned the meaning and uses for 'Auto-Select' and I actually will be using it by using the command key to turn it on and off... being aware now has added new capabiltiy which will speed up my work flow. Thanks again Davescm.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 1
davescm LATEST
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto-select is very useful when positioning multiple elements as it reduces the number of clicks required . However, there are other times when it can be a nuisance, as you described above.

I tend to leave it off by default and only turn it on when I need it.

Glad I could help.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 2