• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Adobe program to make a coffee table photo book?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am asking this in the Photoshop forum because making a book starts with editing photos first.

I am wonderg which is the best way to make a coffee table book?

I see a lot of online services where you upload your photos to them and they provide web apps which help in the process of creating the book.

I am assuming they take a hefty percentage out of the final book's profits also...

I have good editing skills and I think I can make the book myself in the Adobe programs and cut out the middle person.

I like working in illustrator but I have heard that Adobe has several programs that can create coffee table books.

I assume I could just use Microsoft Word or maybe Acrobat. In the end it is really only images and text for the most part, and some formatting...

I want this book to be special but I also plan to use some sort of low overhead semi free Amazon publishing. 

Something that, if people want to pay for a good binding they can but if they just want a paperback they can go with that option also. But I do want quality products available for those who want to go that way.

My question is... What is the best Adobe program for having coffee table book templates ready, maybe some clipart if I would choose to use any, nice semitransparent backgrounds, flourishes, borders, fonts, and would export in, I assume PDF would be the format that Amazon would accept?

Any help on this would be very useful.

I would have asked this in other forums other than Photoshop but I was unsure which one to ask this in.

Many thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi you should go for adobe indesign it is good for books or long pages documents....regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the content is mostly images, with some text and captions, and occasionally a full page or two of type, you can create something pretty easily with Lightroom Classic's Book Module. However, Lightroom itself has some learning curve, so if you don't already use it, you'll need to spend some time getting up to speed.

How to make photo books in Lightroom Classic 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Companies like Blurb.com offer various options for creating photobooks (in the U.K. Bob Books are good), You can use InDesign or their own simpler systems designed for amateurs to create the books, such as Blurb's BookWright. You can use Photoshop to optimise your images -- ensure the resolution for printing at the size they will be printed is between 200 and 300PPI and the color mode is RGB, (and Color space sRGB). Do not use Photoshop to create the text.
Check production specs with the printer(s) before proceeding.   
Regarding digital versions, Amazon have their own proprietary format, they do not sell PDFs of books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Acrobat. Not for a second. Word, if your layout is simple. But InDesign is Adobe's publishing app. You will want professional training to use it. You'll use Photoshop for photo preparation and Illustrator fur drawn material. These three apps are the ones used together for books.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh and don't assume what Amazon accepts. Check in detail before you start. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines