• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best pen/tablet option for me? Can I use my iPad?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Photoshop user who works with a mouse. I often have to do a lot of masking and retouching and would like to give a tablet another try. One problem is that my Wacom Intuos 3 isn't compatible with Catalina. So I'm weighing my options, either purchase a new tablet or integrate an iPad into my workflow. I just don't know if the iPad I have is compatible or would work this way. 

The iPad is this model: MD786LL/B, which is a 32GB Air (I believe first gen?)

I'm thinking, it would be nice to use the pad for more detailed work. I don't think the Apple Pencil will work with my model. Is there a third party pen option? And will I be able to get my desktop to work with the iPad, in a seamless way? 

Thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience :

I bought an Ipad air (not that expensive) with the apple pencil (expensive!). Works great with a screen protector that give the paper feeling and not so sliding pencil… Also good with Procreate (better than Fresco).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need an iPad that will meet the system requirements for both Ps and the Apple Pencil.

Here are the system requirements for Photoshop for iPad. I don't see the first gen Air listed.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements-ios.html

The 2nd gen Apple Pencil ($129) is compatible with

• iPad Air (4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd and 4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (1st and 2nd generation)

https://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/

Note the PS for iPad does not have all of the features that PS for desktop has, such as the Pen tool. I used it for a year on my iPad Air 2 (the oldest iPad that is supported) without the Apple Pencil, then recently upgraded my iPad and am now using the Pencil.

Since you already have the iPad, go to the App Store. PS for iPad is included in your PS subscription, but will only be available if your iPad is new enough to support it.

PS for iPad creates Cloud documents (.psdc) which can be opened and worked on in both PS desktop and PS for iPad. Save is automatic.

I'm not positive about using other pencils. You can, however, use your finger.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines