• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to UPREZZ an image?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best way to increase the size of an image and no get too much pixellation? I've used Genuine Fractels in the past and ON1 Resize. I used these programs as plugins to Photoshop, but they aren't compatable with 2021.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Which version of ON1 Resize are you using?

ON1 Resize 2021 is definitely compatible with 2021. The Tech Specs page actually lists Photoshop CC 2021 as recommended.

https://www.on1.com/products/resize/specs/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

There are a number of articles and YouTube videos comparing different resizing software, so there are probably some comparing On1 Resize against Photoshop. The question is which ones compare against the more recent Photoshop improvements, such as Preserve Details 2.0 and Super Resolution in Camera Raw.

The one getting all the attention today is Topaz Gigapixel AI, a plug-in/application based on machine learning. Adobe came out with their machine-learning powered Camera Raw Super Resolution ups

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of ON1 Resize are you using?

ON1 Resize 2021 is definitely compatible with 2021. The Tech Specs page actually lists Photoshop CC 2021 as recommended.

https://www.on1.com/products/resize/specs/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, John.

I am using ON1 10.5.2 as a standalone right now, because my Photoshop 22.3.1 wouldn't recognize it as a plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteI am using ON1 10.5.2

That'll be your issue. You'll have to upgrade to Resize 2021 for it to work with Photoshop 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, I think there was a problem with OS 10.14.6, which is the highest my MAC with run. I'm checking in again with ON1. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did upgrade to ON1 Resize 2021. I'm trying it out right now. The standalone works well, but as a Photoshop 2021 puglin, throught the Automate it's listed as a standalone. And when I use it in Photoshop, the resized image gets cropped. Something's not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best to contact ON1 for support with their plugins

https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply. I corresponded with ON1 support. 

I’m disappointed to find out that ON1 decided to remove non-proportional resizing on the new versions of Resize. That was a really bad decision. It’s been so useful to have non-proportional resizing as a design tool. I’m a design professional and have been using their product since Genuine Fractals through Perfect Resize and now this. The only way now to achieve the same results is to resize for one dimension, then take it into Photoshop to size the 2nd dimension. Re-size, indeed. It becomes a two-step process instead of one, a lot more work, when you are sizing dozens of images as design elements.

Really a bad call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some success with waif2x

OSX ver port https://github.com/imxieyi/waifu2x-mac It uprezzes photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plug-ins are no longer the only option you have. You can also try the advanced resizing features that were added to recent versions of Photoshop.

Some time ago Adobe added more upscaling options to the Image > Image Size command, such as Bicubic Smoother (Enlargement), Preserve Details, and Preserve Details 2.0. (To see Preserve Details 2.0, you must first enable it in the Technology Previews pane of the Preferences dialog box.) Some of those newer options may be competitive with older upscaling plug-ins.

The current version of Adobe Camera Raw adds the new Super Resolution option in the Enhance feature. Super Resolution can be competitive with many of the latest upscaling plug-ins because like them, it’s powered by machine learning. It may not beat all of the current plug-ins, but the point is that if Super Resolution is good enough, you don’t have to go spend more money to upgrade a plug-in just for resizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is gret, Conrad. I was looking for this kind of info. Wondering if Photoshop upscaling technology has evolved to take the place of third-party plugins. I've used Genuine Fractals and then Perfect Resize for years. It always struck me as something of an extra step to what Adobe should offer as a function of their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if there are comparison tests for Photoshop upscaling vs ON1 Resize, to understand the advantage of using a plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of articles and YouTube videos comparing different resizing software, so there are probably some comparing On1 Resize against Photoshop. The question is which ones compare against the more recent Photoshop improvements, such as Preserve Details 2.0 and Super Resolution in Camera Raw.

The one getting all the attention today is Topaz Gigapixel AI, a plug-in/application based on machine learning. Adobe came out with their machine-learning powered Camera Raw Super Resolution upscaler after that.

So if you can find any, a useful comparison would be between:

• Topaz Gigapixel AI 
  • On1 Resize 
  • Adobe Photoshop Preserve Details & Preserve Details 2.0 
  • Adobe Camera Raw Super Resolution 

I just found this recent article by Greg Benz and it looks like a good one, it does compare those: The best software for beautiful large prints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Thank you. I will check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people blindly follow a formula of 300ppi at final print size, without considering the variables of image content, output method and viewing distance/conditions.

This may not be your situation, however, it is always worth keeping in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With pixel-based images, up-scaling from low-res to hi-res rarely works without pixelation of some kind.  It's just the nature of the beast.  For best results, find out what output is required BEFORE you start your project and build it to those specifications. 

The only exception is when math-based vector images are used.  Vectors created in Illustrator can handle any scale  -- large or small -- without loss in quality.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_GraphicsSource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy and Stephen. I'm well-aware of the protocols in planning projects and size application of attwork. I'm often faced with projects, where an element or more need uprezzing to match the rest of the art format. For these kind of problems, we need software with algorhithms that will artfully enlarge pixels and mask pixelization. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I learned in photography and later in computer programming was 1. "you never get something for nothing" and 2. "there's always a tradeoff somewhere."

If you can live with the results from up-sizing which essentially adds pixels where none existed before, fine.  But don't expect perfection.

Good luck with your project!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines