• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to view photographs (Windows 10)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi y'all. I know this may seem a super simple question, but how do y'all view your photographs once loaded on your computer (Windows 10)? I've taken a 2 year break from editing my photographs (via Photoshop) and the Windows Photo Viewer that used to be on my Windows 7 desktop performed more accurately than the Windows 10 Photo app (which makes pictures more saturated than they truly are once I pull them into Photoshop). I'm not as experienced with Lightroom or Bridge - so I wasn't sure if that's how people view their pics or what. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Angela

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

The Windows 7 Photo viewer was color managed, which is why it displayed correct colors.

Color managed applications use the monitor profile to display correct colors by converting the colors from the document profile to the monitor profile.

The Windows 10 Photos app is not color managed, and does not do this conversion, so it will not display correct colors.

You also seem to have a wide gamut monitor, which will inevitably  lead to over saturation when viewing images in applications without color

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour

I use Digital Photo Professional to process my raw images - and I apply - White balance - brightness - noise.

Then I run these 16-bit Tif images in a personal .jsx script to determine the white - black - gray eyedropper settings that I save in a text file using another .jsx script

I then start the processing of all my images taken at the same place.

Mainly I have a very good caliber screen

I only look at my images once processed and I do this processing as soon as I get home so as not to lose my feelings!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Windows 7 Photo viewer was color managed, which is why it displayed correct colors.

Color managed applications use the monitor profile to display correct colors by converting the colors from the document profile to the monitor profile.

The Windows 10 Photos app is not color managed, and does not do this conversion, so it will not display correct colors.

You also seem to have a wide gamut monitor, which will inevitably  lead to over saturation when viewing images in applications without color management.

The solution is to only use color managed applications to view your work.

Windows 10 has no native color managed applications (except the latest version of Edge). I suggest that you use a third party color managed image viewer like FastStone, which is free for personal use.

Color management is not enabled by default. Go to Settings > CMS to enable it, both boxes must be checked.

Another option is to use Bridge, which you can install from the CC desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I had wondered if people like using Bridge to view their pictures. I'll look into FastStone. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Bridge and FastStone are free, so I suggest that you try both, and see what works best for you.

I use ACDSee (not free), because you can customize the interface, and it has configurable keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mainly use Bridge.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often feel that Bridge is the great unsung hero of the Adobe apps.  It is incredibly useful and powerful, and despite trying to getting into using Lightroom, I always return to a Bridge/Photoshop workflow.  Faststone is a great app as well, and I know several NZ camera clubs use it to manage their club night presentations.  I also use Bridge for choosing sets of images for interclub competitions.  Using star ratings and filtering by those ratings lets you quickly whittle down a selection, and being able to drag thumbnails (and resize on the fly) makes it easy to fine tune the best way to display the set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sweet - thanks for the tips!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines