• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support for BigTiff file format

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe team, you must see there is a growing demand for big file use in Photoshop. It is nice, that we have the possibility to save as PSB, but most other tools which i have to work with do not support PSB nor PSD. While Photoshop can read, open and edit BigTiff files, it is unable to save them. We are almost at the and of 2020, please make this a possibility. There are tools out there, that can do math operations Photoshop can not. Aswell as there is Photoshop, that can do things the other tools are unable to. Please connect this by allowing to save with the BigTiff file format. It would certainly expand the possibilities of what we can do with your software.

http://bigtiff.org/

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
26 Comments
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Feature request can be made on the Adobe Feedback Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to see BigTiff write support as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To serve my clients well, I would like PS to be able to save BigTiff

Rik

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need BigTiff read/write support in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe owns and controls TIFF (and, of course DNG its cousin, as well as PSD/PSB), it seems like something they could do if there are enough votes above. Hence, I just voted. 

Of course, Lightroom Classic needs to support this all fully as well.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please support saving large image files in the BigTIFF file format. This would be tremendously important to institutions archiving large image files.
Andrew (Photographer at the National Gallery, imaging consultant and editor of Langford's Basic Photography)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These days, working with high-res cameras and tiling/stitching, this is a real necessity to have! Please add BigTiff asap
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone doing art documentation / cultural heritage photography knows how we exceed the format restrictions pretty quickly. It's time for Adobe to support gigapixel iamging, ina  variety of ways. Starting with format support is a great way to start that would be immediately appreciated by many. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like all others here at the Rijksmuseum we want big Tiff as well to be able to share images and to archive all big files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Cultural Heritage Photography the access to BigTiff or GeoTiff is esential.

Imagine photographing artwork such as large painting of 4:2,5 meters size, which according to the standars has to be reproduced in 600 ppi in 1:1 scale with 25% overlap between the tiles. That will result with more than 500 images and close to 100,000 pixels on the long side, then the output tiff needs to be scaled down dramatically (close to 50%) meaning that if the galery will never be able to give access to the full size image to the public.

Google Arts and Culture reselved the issue by creating propietary system to capture, stitch and display such painintgs but the access to this limited and not every institution will want to work with Google. Now that is the time Adobe has a chance to benefit the community of Cultural Heritage porfessional users and make a huge impact on general public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 support for BigTIFF write support in Adobe software. Things are accelerating fast and the opportunities to use increasingly high resolution image files are growing, but this tech support is vital if Adobe-based workflows are going to remain usable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bigtiff is becoming absolutely necessary as cameras are increasing in resolution and Cultural Heritage practitioners do more and more tiling and stitching to create super high resolution images. Please add asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote for BigTiff.

I just made a 92000 pixel wide panorama with PTGui. PTGui had no problem writing the file as a BigTiff. Photoshop could read it but could not save my document as a BigTiff.  I had to save it as a .PSB which very few other programs can access.  Also, ACR can not even read the file because of size limits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just created another 15 GB tiff panorama, part of my normal day-to-day work.  But Photoshop does not like large files, it has created a PSB ghetto where large files go and die, because no-one loves them.

Adobe needs to recognise that inter-operability arrived some years ago. If you keep your head in the sand, your butt will be kicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried to save a TIFF file which must be just over the 4 GB limit. The computer was saving the file for ca 4 minutes, then at 97% Adobe told me the file was too big, so save it as PSB.

Why couldn't Adobe have told me that 4 minutes ago?  Is this a deliberate policy to force users to use PSB in every circumstance and, if I don't, to punish me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a free TIFF extension plugin, currently in Beta testing, which can write BigTIFF > 4Gb. You're welcome to try it:
http://www.de-eds.com/ExtraTiff.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave22386828qtyp wrote : ...which can write BigTIFF

Can your BigTiff files be opened in Photoshop?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fine but useless to Mac users, 50% of Adobe's userbase.

And ImageMagick supports BigTIFF as far as I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ExtraTIFF.8bi plugin supports reading and writing of additional TIFF6 / BigTIFF formats which aren't supported by Photoshop's native TIFF device. Recent versions of Photoshop can read some BigTIFFs, certainly at least 8 bit RGB and CMYK. I do not know if it imposes a file or image size limit, other than the maximum raster width and height, something like 300,000 pixels, off the top of my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add support for tiles. I tried it out on a tiled TIFF, and it still failed trying to load one tile.

This TIFF file was a very small tiled TIFF I created for testing purposes, so any TIFF reader should read it.

---------------------------
TiffExtra Warning
Tiled TIFFs are not supported!

This file contains 2 images. Photoshop can only display one of them.
Cannot read compressed strip #0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me rephrase my request. Please add support for reading tiled TIFF files. Exporting tiled TIFFs is not necessary.

TIFFReadRGBAImageOriented() does all the work of combining the tiles into one image, so it should be very easy to add support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are regularly capturing very high resolution images of paintings using 150MP camera and stitching them into a large file. These files need to be accessible via multiples systems from our DAM to our imaging scientists. We need to be able to save large 16-bit/channel RGB TIFFs. BigTiff has existed for well over a decade and we despriately need Adobe to support this format. If there is concern of confustion due to possible incompatibility, a check-box option in preferences that was disabled by default would force people to opt-in. But there is a large community particularly in the cultural heritage sector imaging large paintings, maps, and other large flat medium that need very large files that are not a proprietary PSB file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here at the Detroit Institute of Arts we woudl love to see bigTiff support for our work

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much reproduction work do you do there? And congrats on being voted number one art museum. I'm in Ypsilanti and love the DIA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do lots of copywork and high-resolution cultural heritage investigation here.  And the desire and expectations are growing everyday.

thanks for the congrats!

Votes

Translate

Translate