Highlighted

Black and white photo file size too large

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted an image to black and white in camera raw, edited it in photoshop, and when I saved it, the file size is huge - 22 MB. My other photos that aren't b&w are usually only around 1MB. I can't upload it to the album in google photos because the file is too large. I didn't change any settings when saving the b&w. Saved it just like the color images. Any idea how to fix this or why it happened?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Black and white photo file size too large

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted an image to black and white in camera raw, edited it in photoshop, and when I saved it, the file size is huge - 22 MB. My other photos that aren't b&w are usually only around 1MB. I can't upload it to the album in google photos because the file is too large. I didn't change any settings when saving the b&w. Saved it just like the color images. Any idea how to fix this or why it happened?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 12, 2020 0
mglush LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a question for you...did you turn your photo to black and white by throwing away the color information? Or just change the "look" of the photo to black and white? 

If in Photoshop, you go to the Image menu and choose Mode, it should say Grayscale. If it doesn't, and it still says RGB color, then you still have a coor image that just looks like black and white.

Select the Image Menu again and choose Mode and choose the Grayscale option, and that should delete the color information and give you the black and white (grayscale) smaller size file you are looking for. Be sure to save it as a different file name to make sure you don't destroy the original if you might need it in the future.

Let us know if that fixes the issue, or if you have any additional questions.

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2020 0