• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black and white sky forming rainbow layers.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends, when I edit my black and white photos in Photoshop I always end up getting sky in rainbow layers like in the attached photo. Is there a good way of removing the layers or making them flat or anything else could be done. Thank you all kindly in advance for your help.

Image 26-1-21 at 22.57.JPGImage 26-1-21 at 22.57.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradient banding is what happens when there isn't enough tonal range for the different colors in a gradient. You can fix it by increasing the image from 8 bit to 16 bit and applying a blur to the selected gradient. Here's an article I found that describes the issue more and gives steps for fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Myra, I think it really helped. I tried one two different occassions and both came out well. Thank you very much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting the sky, and add a small amout of noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric, the combination of 16 bit and blur with little noise as suggested by Myra seems to work well. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

First off work in 16 bits per channel which will avoid banding, however you may still see banding on your screen if you are not using a 10 bit monitor. That is on your display only though not in your image.

As suggested by Semaphoric, adding a little noise is effective at reducing banding if you are forced to work in 8 bits/channel

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Dave, I tried 16 bit editing and blur around banding areas, it seems to be working for me so far mate, really appreciate. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines