• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blend If on Group still broken v 21.2.1

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to v 21.2.1 today, Blend If on Groups still broken. Rather than crashing now, Blend If just turns the group effect on or off.. there is no feather or fade, it's just on or off. I use groups to Dodge and Burn with a curves and hue/sat layer, using the group to take advantage of one mask. Completely unusable with the crash now no feather issue

Windows 10, latest everything, wacom tablet, GTX960, latest drivers on all

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added the observation on the Bug Report? 

Photoshop 21.2 Repeatable crash with Blend If on Group

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Photoshop 22, that has just been released today, does list a fix for blend if crashes, as seen in its fixed issues list https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues 

I recommend to install it while keeping the older version installed, as explained in: https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

If you are not seeing it, go to help>check for updates in your CC application.

It is better than using the legacy compositing workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thanks for the update - I can't download v22 yet but will test when I can.

Just so I am clear, have you just fixed the CRASH when using Blend If on a group (becuase this was actually fixed in 21.2.1 - i.e. Photoshop stopped closing / crashing) or have you restored the functionality of Blend If on a group?

To clarify, 21.2.1 stopped Ps crashing but the Blend If effect just toggled on and off rather than actually blending along the luminpsity gradient. Is it now functioning entirely as it should - i.e. Blend If on group works the same as Blend If on a layer?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having now upgraded to Ps 2021 and tested this, I can confirm that Blend If on a Group still doesn't work, it just doesn't completely crash Photoshop WHILST not working...

Not really a fix... and this was "fixed" a few months ago in any case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for the detailed steps provided on feedback. I'll try pinging the team for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As posted on the feedback site....

as described above - the "fix" in 21.2.1 stopped the app crashing in this scenario. HOWEVER, the Blend If on a Group still doesn't work as it did prior to 21.2.

The app doesn't crash, but the Blend If effect isn't functioning. Blend If on the Group, using the Underlying Layer slider, just toggles the effect of the group on and off. It doesn't apply a blend based on luminosity. It is just on or off, same as using the layer visibility eyeball. This is on Windows 10, to be clear.

These pics hopefully demonstrate. The "Dodge" group comprises a Curves layer with a simple luminosity midtone lift and a Hue/Sat layer with just -10 Saturation applied. Both have a blank mask but the Group has a negative mask and with painting on the Group mask to apply the combined effect. 

Picture one shows no blend and the dodge effect fully applied in the selected area, on the group mask. Pic two shows that by merely raising the Group Blend If Underlying Layer slider by 1 level, the effect totally vanishes whereas prior to 21.2 the effect should apply across the gradient. Splitting the sliders to feather also has no impact on the fault. The effect just disappears as if the group had been hidden.

no blend.jpg

failed blend.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines