• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Boycott Creative Cloud?

Advocate ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't heard, CS6 is the last CS version. From now on, you have to rent your applications via the Creative Cloud. I don't like the new subscription model. I have bought every CS upgrade since version 1, but it looks like CS6 is the end for me, even if it means keeping an old computer around just to run CS6 applications.

Perhaps Adobe would change its mind in a few months if most everyone avoided signing up for the subscription. In any case, they've created a real opportunity for competitors.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 417 Replies 417
Participant ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aegis Kleais wrote:

I have CS5, was planning on upgrading to "CS7", but costs are 100% more expensive.  I'll make do with what I have, but I won't even FATHOM upgrading to CS6 and giving Adobe more money.  If CC is how it will be, then CS5 will be my last version. 

I agree with what uhanepono said in post 361 after yours. Upgrade to CS6 is worth it. And email/write to Adobe and tell them you are willing to buy, but not to rent. CS6 should last you years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danish Schmanish, they still managed to create a nightmare. The industrious little mermaids are not wasdting any time capitalizing on Adobe's disastrous decision.  Phase One is holding a 2 hour webinar tomorrow July 3 on transitioning from another imaging program to Capture One. Starts at 10 am CEST which is  2am MDT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

How does this relate to the title of this thread?

It doesn't.

It stemmed from a comment I made regarding using Photoshop Elements, which still has a perpetual license, and Lightroom 5, which still has a perpetual license, instead of paying a monthly fee for Photoshop.

That led to a discussion about how much compositing is really being done by professional photogrphers that can't be handled by Elements.

That would effectively be boycotting the Creative Cloud. So, back on topic.

Feel better now?

Edit: Besides, it is better than discussing if Adobe and Hitler are in any way whatsoever equivalent, similar, or even remotely tied together in any way.

Perhaps you should start a new discussion that is more specific to your interests.

Now using Affinity Photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generally stay away from most forums and I usually had upgraded photoshop every 2nd release *(which was fairly standard). I added Lightroom to the mix a few years back and have been happy until now. My desire for new upgrades in photoshop and lightrom prompted a visit to my Adobe Account. I couldn't get in. Isearched for upgrade pricing and couldn't find anything for CS5 to CS6.

I've always been fair and paid for my software and I enjoyed the "secure feeling" of belonging to the photoshop family.  Now it's evaporating and I'm thoroughly confused. I can't see an upgarde path to CS6 yet sales tells me it's available  for $199.00 US. Lightroom is a steal at $75- $79.

I'm retired and I don't mind paying a reasonable amount to stay current but Adobe has gone nuts, I'll be a frosty day in hell when I pay a subscription to a bunch of greedy and quite foolish people to maintain a connection with an entity that I no longer understand. using this business model they'll be sharing office space with Qwark and Wordperfect sooner than later. I do need the full functionality of photoshop layers and I quite enjoy the instant gratification afforded by using Lightroom. but as a retiree I can't pay the same as a pro photographer. Photography is an important part of my life and now that I'm retired there are far too many door knobs trying to relieve themselves in my morning bowl of cocopuffs.

I contacted sales on the chat line and was told by some person located in East Asia that CS6 was available for $199. I have yet to find a link to any area on adobe's site that confiorms that. It also sounds that this is the last such "non cloud" kick at the can. The other major rub is dealing with slave labour on the other side of the world. People that institute offshore call centers should be forced to deal with them so that they may see the error of their ways.

I hate to admit it but if there was a hack I just may not get on my high horse and preach about software legitimacy as I have always done. I feel soiled to put it politely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, have you given Photoshop Elements a trial run?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bryan from barrie wrote:

I searched for upgrade pricing and couldn't find anything for CS5 to CS6.

I haven't tried this myself as I'm already on CS6. You can't get it on Amazon, but it's here... http://www.next-tech.de/adobe-photoshop-cs6-upgrade-from-cs5-5-win-mac-download.html

There is also a MAC version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU CAN STILL UPGRADE, REALLY, TRULY!

The link to the upgrade page has been posted many times in thsi thread. Here it is again. Please everone repost this often as it seems to get buried and noonee reads the whole thread at this point.

uhanepono wrote: (A long time ago)

YOU CAN still upgrade..!! really, truly. Here is the link

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cata log_sl_software_sl_creativesu...

1. In the Photoshop CS6 row, click the Buy link
  2. "I want to buy:", click on the dropdown menu and select Upgrade
  3. click "I own" and on the dropdown menu select the relevant product which you already own
  4. Follow the prompts from there to complete the purchase

Bryan from barrie wrote:

My desire for new upgrades in photoshop and lightrom prompted a visit to my Adobe Account. I couldn't get in. Isearched for upgrade pricing and couldn't find anything for CS5 to CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, you can still upgrade to CS6. But just try finding a link for it on the Adobe site on your own. They have buried it very deeply.

uhanepono wrote:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cata log_sl_software_sl_creativesu...

3. click "I own" and on the dropdown menu select the relevant product which you already own

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Wickham wrote:

True, you can still upgrade to CS6. But just try finding a link for it on the Adobe site on your own. They have buried it very deeply.

uhanepono wrote:

I'm not at all sure you can find that link by browsing from the UK home page in a logical order. The first part of the link is 'products' which is easy enough from the home page. But then to get 'catalog' you have to select 'see all products' in the BR corner. Then you get this page http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/catalog.html  and it might be me but I can't see any link on that page that either takes you to the link address you gave above from were it says 'cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cata log_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=10' None of the descriptions match what you are looking for, and although the list is supposed to be in alphanumeric order - it isn't! I think it's hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smell the magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why I provide the link just so you DONT have to find it on your own. Post it over and over. Post it often and early!! Keep it alive and forget adobe's obfuscations, Empower yourself inspite of it.

I was able, BTW, with no trouble at all, to load the page from a UK proxy server (emulates an UK IP).

2. "I want to buy:", click on the dropdown menu and selectUpgrade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crapola - I tried to send you an email but it's hidden. If I were you I'd take that post out pretty quickly. If you delete it, I'll delete this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crapola wrote:

Can't. I don't have access.

You should look at the history of Germany and all that changed due to absolute control. Look past the horrible outcome of the subject, but the beginning of an alleged good idea.

My grandparents on my mothers side died at Dachau in 1943. And I don't need to look at the history of Germany - I have a Masters degree in European history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not meant to offend, but to bring to light that all power corrupts all. Again, you need to look past the hatred of what one man did to stir what the future of how Adobe's hard line decisions shall affect all businesses. This it not about one man's insanity, but a lesson in history of when control leaves you helpless.  This is what the cloud offers its users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are getting at, I think. The recent activity of certain international companies and the so-called globalisation project is equivalent to the evils that have gone before in history. I would probably agree with you, in fact I was discussing this with my wife this evening. But this is a forum devoted to discussing Adobe products, not their possible plans for world domination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about world domination Rob though Adobe does have a strong hold on many companies as well as individuals with little competition. The cloud offering seems like a great idea at the introductory price, but once you are hooked into their system, they can pretty much do at they please with you or you have no choice, but to get out and lose what you have created. The strong arm tacticts reminded me of Nazi Germany and is the reason why I posted that youtube link.

Everthing seemed just right for Germany in the early days. Reconstruction of a country was happening. Almost no unemployment. Work camps were in full swing. Uniting all German citizens what the initial goal and it worked very well.

Leaders go insane and conceit a new world order and all hell breaks loose.

What is stopping Adobe from following suit? Human nature and history ALWAYS repeats itself. To have a choice is always better for business.  Just go to the Cloud forum and look at all the trouble users are having with just getting the software to work. The work in itself is hard enough at times.

To me, this will unravel Adobe's big plans for conversion. If we as users can't get the software to be stable, then we protest, give up and or move on. To eliminate a perpetual licence and bring stability to your work environment is key to any business success. To have to deal with getting your tools functioning and stable is a huge problem. I for one don't want to deal or rely upon Adobe for what was freedom until now.

Yes I will pay for the tools, but I don't want to be hamstrung trying to do my job because the Nazi's have just rolled into France.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote from Ray Stofberg, a commerciaal photographer, on Phase One's facebook page:

- What is your opinion of the recent move by Adobe to transition its customers to a Cloud based (software as service) model?

Their decision to move to the Cloud-based model had me made looking around for good alternatives, but the fact is there really are none for Photoshop. Luckily for me, Capture One is not only an alternative to Lightroom, but it’s better! Let’s put it this way: When I consider the D800e files, I moved from unacceptable to exceptional image quality when I moved from Lightroom to Capture One Pro!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ON THE ABOBE SITE YOU CAN UPGRADE

rob_ashcroft wrote:

Bryan from barrie wrote:

I searched for upgrade pricing and couldn't find anything for CS5 to CS6.

I haven't tried this myself as I'm already on CS6. You can't get it on Amazon, but it's here... http://www.next-tech.de/adobe-photoshop-cs6-upgrade-from-cs5-5-win-mac -download.html

There is also a MAC version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uhanepono wrote:

ON THE ABOBE SITE YOU CAN UPGRADE

The link I gave is £157. But I suspect it doesn't include VAT which would take it to £188 - the same as Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say there is any real substitute for Photoshop or Illustrator. It would be nice if Corel seized the moment and chose to give Adobe greater competition but they haven't done so for a decades now and I doubt they will. Corel and Adobe used to be pretty equal to each other at one time, (maybe 1990??).

I'm not putting down Corel - I own their software, too, as theirs can do somethings that Adobe's can't.

I, like many, resent the rental idea and am currently boycotting it, (my CS6 suite is just fine for my needs - I will see what happens next year or the year after). And who knows- some new company might come out with even better products than Adobe's and sell them outright. I always root for the new kid on the block when the old kid  gets too big for it's britches and no longer listens to consumers needs, (did for Adobe at one time, too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will never pay a Cent to Adobe for CC. Thanks to the work of some honorable people this really isn't necessary anyway. Adobe is an Indian Company now..and Indian Tech Support is the norm..and they don't consider it Out Sourcing. Personally, I refuse to talk to anyone from India about anything, they think they understand the English that they speak, which is simply not true. This is the end for Adobe. Everyone knows it...with the exception of Adobe. they are so out of touch that they are beyond reason and logic. To hell with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After almost 2 years and almost $1000 spent I can say that this was a complete waste of money, and is an arrogant, sneaky power grab by Adobe. I've spent many thousands of dollars over the years to purchase licenses and my Adobe Production Premium will be my last Adobe product for the forceable future after my year expires. I just had it out with a customer support guy, after spending over 30 minutes just trying to connect to representative on Adobe's incredibly slow site, and was told that I can't even halt now the auto -renewal that occurs in 3 months. I have to mark my calendar and keep my eyes glued to my emails so I know when I can finally cancel, otherwise they charge me a hefty fee. ARROGANT!!!! DISHONEST!!!! Please, please, someone start competing with this company and put them out of business (and this from a a customer of 15 years). As to KuttyJoe above, yes, Photoshop is a nice product, but there is a limit to what a customer should put up with. My car is nice but I'm not going to pay 3x more for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm boycotting 🙂

I tried Adobe creative cloud for about 2 years, then realized that I had wasted close to $1000 on programs that I wasn't even using. Normally I would upgrade as needed, maybe spending a thousand or so every 3 or 4 years. I had one job that required a more recent version of Flash, and Adobe wouldn't sell it to me even though I had just spent thousands on the Premium Pro bundle and 4 previous versions of Flash. Any equity in the company you may have had in the forms of upgrades goes out the window.

The introductory price of $35/month was manageable, but $50/month when business is bad (and the economy is quite bad right now for me) is not good. Also, they can raise the price whenever they want ( I don't trust them at all)  and I don't see why Adobe would keep improving the products if they're getting a steady cash flow regardless. This is a great deal for Adobe and a horrible deal for customers. It gives Adobe all the power of a monopoly. It's abusive and we should all try to work around it somehow. For me, all the programs I have from the Premium bundle will be fine until Apple upgrades their systems or chips such that Adobe's programs won't work. At that point I will have to find a workaround 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say that I actually looked at every page in this thread.  But I'm going to be disappointed if someone didn't use Photoshop to composite an image of people in a picket line boycotting Adobe CC and post it up.  Maybe, a picket line in the clouds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines