Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Break something in half.

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

Can someone give me simple steps to help me creat a photo of something that looks like its broken in half.  i am working on aschool  project using one of my statues at home but dont want to actually break it in half i just want to make a photo so it looks like its in two pieces for a school project but cant work how to do it.

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Make a selection of the object and duplicate the layer twice. (Ctrl+J). That will put the object only onto two layers.

Add a mask to one of the object layers and paint out half the object with black on the mask.

Alt drag the mask to the second object layer (which will make a copy of it)

With the mask selected press Ctrl+I

So now you will have half the object on one layer and half on another

You can move those layers as you require with the move tool.

You will need to put it on a new background or use cloning to remove the original object from the existing background.

The trick part though will be to paint in, on a separate layer, a convincing edge and interior which was hidden before you "broke" the object

Good luck - if you get stuck, post a picture of the object and I'll try and show some screenshots of the steps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Press Select Subject
2. Go round with the quick select tool and add or subtract any edges that select subject got wrong

2020-10-18_21-50-37.jpg
3.Press Ctrl+J twice

2020-10-18_21-51-52.jpg
4. Use the polygonal lasso tool to draw around the bottom half and make a jagged line across the middle

2020-10-18_21-53-19.jpg
5. Use the eye icon to turn on visibility of only the first of the two layers and press the mask symbol in the layer panel

2020-10-18_21-55-57.jpg

6. Turn on visibility of second of the new layers and click on the mask of the first. Holding down the Alt key drag it into the second layer. Now both layers will have the same mask

7 Click on the layer mask for the top layer and press Ctrl+I

2020-10-18_21-58-23.jpg
8. Switch to the move tool (V) and on the canvas click and drag the upper body. Press enter when positioned

2020-10-18_21-59-50.jpg
9. Turn off visibility of the top two layers and turn the bottom layer back on

2020-10-18_22-01-26.jpg
10 Use the Lasso tool to draw around the figure

2020-10-18_22-03-15.jpg
11. Select the bottom layer then use Edit > Content Aware Fill

12 Switch back on visibility of the two model layers

2020-10-18_22-05-32.jpg
13. Add a new layer between the model layers and the background.

2020-10-18_22-06-10.jpg

14. Paint in the edges on that layer with the brush tool

2020-10-18_22-09-54.jpg
15. Add another new layer below the edges layer and set the blend mode to multiply (name it shadows)

2020-10-18_22-11-25.jpg
16.Use a soft brush set to black, 0% hardness and opacity 10-15% to paint in shadows
2020-10-18_22-30-27.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_7448.JPG

This is the statue im using,  its a snowy white plastic inside as ive glued a couple of parts before, i just need to split it into two pieces acroos the waist so it look like its been dropped. maybe even the head brocken off that would look cool.  ive tried different ways but just cant make it look convincing enough for my project,  i cant get the shadoows on the carpet to match , that kind of thing.  thanks very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to split up the elements using masks.

Then paint in the missing areas such as the interior that can't be seen when the model is whole

I would use content aware fill to remove the original model from the background and then paint in new shadows on a layer set to multiply blend mode.

Something like this:

2020-10-17_12-50-20.jpg

Note if you are doing this, start with a sharper photograph. It will make life easier

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just re-read your comment about it being white inside, which I'd not noticed when I posted above. Hopefully you get the idea though.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you made this look so easy.  thanks for the help.

If i have trouble following the steps how do i get the same effects but make the edges look broken?  is there a filter or something to make them a bit more jagged as if its been dropped.  im beginning to think ive dug my self a hole trying to do this 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each edge is created by the mask, so just draw a jagged edge to it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, sorry to be a pain but im really struggling with this,  is there any chance you could show me step by step again but leave the head on this time. Ive tried to move things around but i keep messing it up. trying to do the head aswell is too much for me so just the body broken in two and possible do the jagged edges, then i can see in the photo what youve done and may be able to replicate it with a better quality photo.  thanks very much again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I've posted the steps above (I clicked the wrong reply button and it posted at the top not the bottom but the steps are there to see)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is so clever, i have a lot to learn , thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines