Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone.

I had this issue before, but it was a little different and was happening in Firefox and PS. Somehow I fixed it, but I'm not sure how. Now it's just happening in PS.

I start PS and everything is fine. Then I open a file and drag it to the top to enlarge it, but I still have all the tools and jazz showing. I'm not sure what to call that action. Anyway, then my sceen starts flashing. It's like the brightness is dimming in and out at a rapid rate. And it effects the image and the whole interface. Before when I had this problem it was doing it slowly. I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix the issue. I'm running the most current version of PS CC 2018. The graphic card it uses, Nvidia GTX 1050i is up to date. I don't have any plugins.

I searched Google for an answer but the only flickering I could find was this: Fix Flashing Black Screen in Photoshop CS6 or CC - YouTube and that's not my problem. I really hope someone can help me. This issue is very annoying and I can't work like this.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe. It seems like you need a proof. Here it is.

Photoshop CC 2018 brightness flicker - YouTube

Please do something about it otherwize we either get a seizure or a heart attack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the EXACT same issue with a Surface Book 2 and GTX1060 card. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes this but it makes photoshop slow so it is not a proper solution. Please fix this

Photoshop CC 2018 brightness flicker - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Facing the same issues on my laptop, coincidentally I have the same graphic driver as you. I noticed that disabling the "Use Graphics Processor" on Edit>Performance kinda fixes it, but then I am unable to rotate the canvas.

I already tried to do a clean windows install, tried to use Photoshop CC2015, still facing this flickering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Few other things that I have noticed:

- The flickering only happens inside the canvas / background, it does flicker above the layers, or the tools windows/tabs.
- Only happens inside photoshop, it does not "bleed" into other applications, even if they're on the screen side by side.

- Just by toggling the "Large Tabs" option on and off on Preferences>Workplace makes the canvas flicker, you do not even need to apply the changes.

- Does not happen while using Autodesk Sketchbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable check  box for "use graphics processor" in the preferences settings.

Close PS and restart. See if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that disabling the "Use Graphics Processor" on Edit>Performance kinda fixes it, but then I am unable to rotate the canvas.

I use the rotate tool a lot, pretty much unable to work without.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well

Its a good indicator that the card in your machine does not meet the minimum requirements for all PS work flows.

And its only going to be bigger problem going forward as more features are added, and more application processing is passed on to the GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but that does seem to be a very good answer to the problem as I was using the same laptop / photoshop version / driver for a year with no problem. It was only when I updated the video card driver to the latest one that started happening, I did rollback and it does kinda stop for a while but after some time it starts again.

The problem also persists when I install Photoshop CC 2015, and only on Photoshop, everything else does not produce any issues with the video card.

And the video card in mention has been released less than 2 years ago ("Both the GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1050 launched on the same day, Tuesday October 25, 2016."), does support for it drop that fast?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With out knowing your actual hardware, its at best a guess as to what is

happening.

Obviously there appears to be a issue with the Nvidia driver/video card.

That card is more then sufficient to work with PS.

I have a Quadro card with the latest driver from Nvidia and have no

issues. Obviously that doesn't help you.

A lot of people have Nvidia cards out there, and the problem doesn't

appear to be wide spread, so it could be anything.

What boxes do you have selected under advanced settings?

Could you card be getting flaky? Overheating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Nvidia GTX 1050ti 4GB and the most current version 391.01. I'm using a Sager NP6852. I understood that card more than met the minimum requirements. But lately, it isn't doing it all the time (the flickering). I got this laptop about a year ago. I'd hate to think it was faulty hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and I have changed 6 laptops out with different nvidia cards and spent hours on the phone with nvidia with no luck fixing the problem!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Nvidia 660 gtx 2gb and it runs fine. Have never seen this issue, only saying as my card is pretty old and it runs pscc2019 just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured out, this is an issue with the newest drivers from Nvidia. I installed an old driver (385.28 from 08/13/2017) and so far so good, let's hope it keeps that way.

---- Well, that worked for about half a day, flicker started again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue too... and it's pretty annoying.

I use a GTX 1050ti.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe CC 2018 Flickering when I use brushes. Any idea?

Hardware:

i7 - 7500U
16GB RAm

Intel Graphics 620
Nvidia Gforce 940MX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS does not like or support dual GPU s

There are plenty of threads here about people having problems with dual GPU configurations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, I will let you know if I can find a fix. Have you found a solution?

I tried messing with the intel 3d setting on the photoshop program tab that davescm linked.

a. Right-click anywhere on the desktop and choose the NVIDIA control panel.

b. Click Manage 3D settings.

c. Click Program Settings and add Photoshop.exe and sniffer.exe. Change the preferred graphics processor to Integrated graphics.

Then restart Photoshop. It fixes the pen or clicking stuttering brightness on the canvas but makes it very very slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 or 2 weeks ago worked well. Also so most of gaming laptop 2 cards included. My configuration is common configuration! This is not an free software, so please do not say "do not support". Start to support! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me explain 2 things to you.

I am not a Adobe employee, I am asked to support their apps on the forums, so you are preaching to the choir.

Now to your follow up comment.

Yes your configuration is a common configuration, but for a gamer laptop.

Adobe clearly notes what cards and configurations they support. Dual configuration is not one of them

You have to make a decision  which GPU on your laptop you wish to make a "primary" GPU

There are work-arounds posted here to allow one to assign which GPU you want to use.

It depends on what laptop and OS you have.

There are others here that can walk you through it.

Thats your only option. You decide.

Or you can get a new laptop that does not have a dual GPU configurations.

Up to you.

I have done all I can do to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you are asked to support the apps on the forum there isn't a way for you to inform them about this issue?

And well, my laptop have two GPU and even when I select to use only the Nvidia it have the brightness flickering problem, and if you change it to the Intel it works fine, but without the video card memory... and well it's not the best thing to work with.

And don't tell me it's a dual configuration issue, cause my old laptop run it without any problem but with a amd video card.

jbm007  escreveu

It depends on what laptop and OS you have.

There are others here that can walk you through it.

Thats your only option. You decide.

Up to you.

I have done all I can do to help you.

Up to you.

No one could solve this issue since there's no one posting a solution that worked,
so there are no others here to walk anyone throught it.

I don't think that saying to the community that you need to have money to afford buying a new laptop everytime that Adobe decides to update their apps it's the best thing to say.

Sorry if I am had a misinterpretation but you sounded very arrogant with this comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it has to do with setting OS configurations on a persons system.

I am loath to offer recommendations to create those work around.

If it was my system OK, but not someone else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

JBM007 is correct on the issue with multiple GPUs which can have conflicting drivers. See Adobe's comments in section 7 & 8 here:

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

On the wider issues in this thread - many of the common GPU cards from both NVidia and AMD have their drivers updated regularly to keep up with the gaming world. Unfortunately those updates sometimes introduce bugs for use in graphics applications such as Photoshop. The "pro" Graphics cards ,such as NVidia's Quadro's have different drivers, updated less frequently, and appear less prone (although not completely immune) to these issues. In the meantime, until the drivers are updated with a resolution , there is little choice other than to step back to a previous driver , or turn down/off GPU use in Photoshop.

What is key is that when an issue does occur with GPU the user reports it to AMD/NVidia as well as Adobe.  Adobe bug reports can be raised here  Photoshop Family Customer Community  where they will be seen by the development teams.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Call bad business philosophy... Nvidia is one of biggest graphic card maker. - I do not understand why not supporting? Because the Apple using AMD? - Nothing different if I say all red car cannot use the gas station… Because red...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point one week ago worked well my Photoshop... I did not update my graphic card's driver. So if I want to work w 3D I have to buy a new machine? That's the solution or burn my eyes with flickering-flashing Photoshop interface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines