Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone.

I had this issue before, but it was a little different and was happening in Firefox and PS. Somehow I fixed it, but I'm not sure how. Now it's just happening in PS.

I start PS and everything is fine. Then I open a file and drag it to the top to enlarge it, but I still have all the tools and jazz showing. I'm not sure what to call that action. Anyway, then my sceen starts flashing. It's like the brightness is dimming in and out at a rapid rate. And it effects the image and the whole interface. Before when I had this problem it was doing it slowly. I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix the issue. I'm running the most current version of PS CC 2018. The graphic card it uses, Nvidia GTX 1050i is up to date. I don't have any plugins.

I searched Google for an answer but the only flickering I could find was this: Fix Flashing Black Screen in Photoshop CS6 or CC - YouTube and that's not my problem. I really hope someone can help me. This issue is very annoying and I can't work like this.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

janos  wrote

I did not update my graphic card's driver.

Are you sure? Windows updates can , and do, drop down updates to drivers.

janos  wrote

So if I want to work w 3D I have to buy a new machine?

No - you need to configure your machine for Photoshop to use one GPU, as per the link I posted earlier

janos  wrote

That's the solution or burn my eyes with flickering-flashing Photoshop interface?

If the current NVidia driver is causing flickering for you, report it to NVidia here: NVIDIA Driver Feedback|NVIDIA  and in the meantime roll back your driver.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem started with Photoshop update. - Why I have to write message for Nvidia? Because I do not want to use Apple product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try drivers from your laptop manufacturer. NVIDIA have also released 6 drivers for your Nvidia card since January.

Last year I had an issue between Photoshop and my AMD gpu card. I had to roll back the AMD driver two versions to temporarily resolve it. I also raised bug reports with both AND and Adobe.

I kept checking each new driver release and it did eventually get resolved in an AMD driver release several driver versions later. Hence my comment that the very latest driver is not necessarily the most stable on a particular system.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buggy video drivers can take on the strangest forms. The 391 Quadro driver killed the "Export" UI on both my systems. I'm not too worried, I expect it will come back with the next driver update. But it is annoying. BTW, this is the first ever hint of a problem with a Quadro driver that I've seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the legacy Save for web still work Dag?  I ask because I want to replace my AMD card to improve render speed in Blender and to get round a slow print dialogue issue with the current AMD drivers (like you said, YOU driver bugs van show themselves in peculiar ways).  I had settled on a Quadro, however I don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. I can live without Export As if Save for Web is OK.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save For Web works fine.

Quick Export also works, which is why I think it's just the Export interface that is missing. It reappeared after a prefs reset, and then promptly went MIA again. And it happened sometime shortly after I updated from 385 to 391 Quadro driver.

I have a lot of actions with Save For Web - now I wish I also had some using Export. If my theory holds, these actions should still work.

Quite aside from all that, I have always found Export slower than Save For Web - which sort of defeats the whole purpose of replacing it. If you try to feed either one full size camera files or panos, they both drop dead anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dag - I'm happy as long as Save for Web will work normally

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But PS rolled a update which may have broken dome thing with your current driver

Nvidia just rolled out a new driver end of last month as well

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my Nvidia 1050 Ti like last week with the most current update. In the Nvidia control panel I have the preferred GPU set to the Nvidia card under global settings. In the program settings PS is set to use the Nvidia card. But still, the problem persists, albeit not as strongly.

Is this all I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is it’s not Nvidia

All laptop manufactures use Nvidia s base line driver and then tweak it to work on their laptops with enhanced performance

After the first year they stop all development and usually don’t provide updates

Hence the issues start to occur

J

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm glad it's not just me.

I have set my Nvidia as the primary GPU and have also made sure that PS uses it. I guess this is just a bug that Adobe REALLY needs to fix. Like someone said above me, I'm not going to shell out a thousand+ dollars for a new laptop every time Photoshop has an update.

I also agree that your reply, came off as a little arrogant and rude. It isn't really necessary. We're all just here to get help with a common issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When u cannot work you gonna be rude to! Be honest 6-7 years using - paying Adobe products and all the time have performance issue. I just expecting stress less workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This subject has been up many times before. If it's a laptop, the answer has always been in the laptop manufacturer's settings, or OS settings modified by the laptop manufacturer.

Photoshop doesn't do this, and the video driver doesn't do this. Laptop manufacturers do, and that's where you need to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this bug exists in both CC 2017 and CC 2018, running on the latest Nvidia Driver (397.64), with photoshop set from Nvidia Control Panel to explicitly use the Discrete GPU
It does not appear when
- "Use Graphics Processor" is unticked
- or when Photoshop is being used on an external display connected to the HDMI port

Turning off use of the graphics processor severely degrades performance and isn't a viable solution to this problem.

Config:

Acer Predator G3-572
Intel Core i5 7300HQ

8GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 630

Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amithk17454766  wrote

I can confirm that this bug exists in both CC 2017 and CC 2018

That's because it isn't Photoshop that does this. It's a laptop special setting that doesn't work well in some real-world configurations.

That's always a problem with laptops. They are so filled with custom "helpful" functions and utilities that you don't know where to start disabling them. Get a desktop machine, and you won't have this problem.

I once used a Sony Vaio for a while, very expensive, that did this. I finally managed to track down the setting to disable this "feature", but it took a while.

This is an issue that pops up at regular intervals. Former Photoshop engineer Chris Cox (who used to post here) made it very clear that Photoshop didn't contain a single line of code that could ever cause this. It just isn't possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I agree with what my colleagues say and I see that there are several people with the same problem and maybe not all for the same type of identical causes.

The causes may be different depending on the machine and the monitor and you should check:

- Update the drivers and not just the graphics card and the monitor, but surely these are the first ones to check.

- Check if you use a monitor connected to a Notebook that the "100% scale" ratio is the same for both.

- Open the Nvidia settings and go to Manage the 3D settings > Program Settings > Select a program to customize > Photoshop > ... check that you use Nvidia CPUs

- Test you monitor LCD monitor test images

- If the problem persists try Uninstalling the Nvidia drivers completely > restart the computer and download and reinstall the latest driver from the Nvidia website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a super weird "temporary fix" on windows for me , with photoshop open, go to  device manager and disable the integrated gpu,check photoshop should work fine now, go to the already open device manager again and you should be able to re-enable the integrated graphics and it should work ok without flickering, at least for me does. hope this help someone.

Is funny , cause is the same workaround I use to be able to play Destiny 2 on my laptop, the game launched as a black screen, and doing that "fixed it"

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oscara - Photoshop does not work well with multiple GPUs. See section 7&8 here:

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crazy stuff, but your trick works! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Oscara, this actually works! Please tell me if someone got a better/easier fix. Copying your solution to another topic.

I now understand that the problem derives from having two GPU's in my laptop. By disabling the integrated GPU and enabling it after while having PS opened the flickering is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meet the same issue. My computer is i5-7300hq HD630 + 1050ti. I had this issue both in camera raw and photoshop. It just happen on my Lenove laptop, but not happen on my friends hp omen 3(same hardwre as my lenove).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Asus Zenbook 13, i7 processor, 16GB Ram - And, unfortunately, dual graphics cards - Intel UHD 620 and Nvidia 150MX.  I really do assume this is where the issue stems from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Using a brand new Surface Pro 15" 1060 video card and had the same issues with flickering.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers it worked!

Flickering still showed up after the install but after a few min it went away. Hasn't come back since.

Definitely suggests trying the latest drivers directly from Nvidia to see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is maddening what laptop manufactures do to get the ULTIMATE performance marks out of their designs and dump them the minute a new product line shows up.

Good luck getting updated drives after a year in production.

All manufactures take the base code structure and then customize it.

They will generally do one more update and then they are done.

Nvidia  generally does 3-4 driver updates a year.

Adobe gets advanced copies of all updates that they can test.

Somethings get fixed while other things get broken; been like that for years.

As far as I am concerned the dual GPU system was the worst thing that could have been dumped on customers.

I would never, ever recommend a dual GPU system to anyone.

JMTW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadness, it doesn't work with my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines