Highlighted

Brush at max opacity when build-up enabled :(

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I recently had to wipe my mac after some unfortunate mishap and after the usual installing of everything PS ended up acting kinda screwy.

It seems like the initial start of every stroke tripples in opacity. After some tinkering I managed to isolate the problem to the "Build-up" option. It happens regardless of brush used, as long as build-up is enabled. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to get annoying and well, doccument... ^^;

halp.gif

So am I just an idiot? What is going on here? Please help!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Michael Bullo | Adobe Community Professional

Thank you. Happy to help.

So it seems like your tablet is working great in all programs except Photoshop. Is that correct? If so, is it all versions of Photoshop or just the current version that you have installed? The Creative Cloud app allows you to have multiple versions of its programs, including Photoshop, installed simultaneously. Perhaps your next test is to see if the problem persists in an earlier version of Photoshop.

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Brush at max opacity when build-up enabled :(

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I recently had to wipe my mac after some unfortunate mishap and after the usual installing of everything PS ended up acting kinda screwy.

It seems like the initial start of every stroke tripples in opacity. After some tinkering I managed to isolate the problem to the "Build-up" option. It happens regardless of brush used, as long as build-up is enabled. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to get annoying and well, doccument... ^^;

halp.gif

So am I just an idiot? What is going on here? Please help!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Michael Bullo | Adobe Community Professional

So it seems like your tablet is working great in all programs except Photoshop. Is that correct? If so, is it all versions of Photoshop or just the current version that you have installed? The Creative Cloud app allows you to have multiple versions of its programs, including Photoshop, installed simultaneously. Perhaps your next test is to see if the problem persists in an earlier version of Photoshop.

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting the preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unfortunately it didn't change anything. (Just to confirm, that's the "Reset All Locked Settings" option in the Brush Settings panel, right?)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I should have been more specific. I was referring to resetting the preferences for Photoshop. Doing so is not a big deal and something people generally do when trying to fix odd Photoshop behaviour. Keep in mind that you will lose any changes to preferences that you have made. You can find more specific information on the following page...

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the confirmation, I tried removing the Brushes.psp file and deleting the settings, but it didn't seem to help 😕

I don't know if it helps at all, but after some more messing around, I found that the problem seems to happen almost never with the eraser end of my pen, so I wondered if it was a Tablet issue (I use an Intuos Pro PTH-651). But when I tried testing the pressure in other programs, it seemed to work fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried updating the driver for the tablet?

A few years back I was having odd issues with my Wacom tablet. I eventually solved the problem by using an earlier version of the driver. I was able to easily find and download earlier versions of the driver from the Wacom website.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've had to do that a couple times in the past too. Wacom must've gotten their sht together though, since it didn't seem to be the problem this time 😆

So, I tried using 3 different older versions and for last one I uninstalled all Wacom applications, but it didn't seem to change anything either.

Thank you for having so much patience with this, by the way! I didn't expect this to go on for so long. For... multiple reasons >_>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!! That fixed it! After rolling PS back some, it looks like the latest version it doesn't show is 21.0.3. This is sorta weird to me though—that a problem would stick around for so long—is there a way to report bugs like these?

Anyway, thank you so much for all your help! And sorry for taking up so much of your time ^^;

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey that's great you have a solution.

This is the page where you can report bugs with Photoshop
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines