• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Make the brush cursor easier to see (too thin, not enough contrast with some colors)

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In last updates I'm having problem seeing brush (paint and healing) cursor when working with colors similar to cursor grey (grey or brown midtones for expamle).

Sometimes cursor changes to white, but for very short time and very randomly.

So it's really hard to see where I'm just gonna paint or heal. It is really annoying and tiring.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

If you want to try the new Brush Cursor options in the  Photoshop (Beta) 

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.57.20 AM.png

How to use:

1. Create a text file
  2. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt
  3. In the Text file add this…

BrushTipOutlineStrokeWidth 3

(0-3) This Increases the brush cursor outline.
    0 is the default in the shipping version of Photoshop.
    This Beta is using 1 as a default.
    999602978d9r.png (Thank you Scott Valentine for making this graphic!

4. Save the file/Place the file in the Photoshop settings folder:

For Windows: \Users\[Use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

We are aware of cases that a brush icon can be difficult to see.

Making it stand out more strongly would be very useful and we are evaluating solutions for all the platforms we support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 427 Replies 427
427 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andre_schneider_7299466 I understood that 🙂 What I meant is if it is possible to work properly for you like that, although it is terrible. For me it's definitely not, I still lose track and it is extremely stressful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tom_Gugel I make it work because I have to. Like you, I lose track of the cursor all the time and it's royal pain, but until Adobe decides that fixing bugs is as important as making filters to turn a frown into a smile, that's what we have to work with... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the "team" would respond to someone they actually know...does anyone have any connection to a "team" member? Please call them, write them a letter and mail it or something! Jeez, it seems like the brush could switch between either white or black and not hurt anyone's feelings. 

Steve Gandy
Photographer - Instructor
stevegandy.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's been a problem for a looong time.  They can't or won't fix it.  I was invited to send screen shots and video captures which I did; the damn thing disappears all the time, I have constantly to use the command key to turn it into a flag to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's been a problem for a looong time.  They can't or won't fix it.  I was invited to send screen shots and video captures which I did; the damn thing disappears all the time, I have constantly to use the command key to turn it into a flag to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should think the solution would be that the cursor automatically changes to the complement of whatever color it passes over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not see the cursor. Why was it made so thin and light in Photoshop 2021. Make the cursor heavier so we can see it when working as a pro all day. There should be a size and color option for the brush, etc. cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its now May 2021 and I am running the latest version Photoshop (Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.3.0). Like many of the posts, I work a lot in black and white and have real trouble with the grey/white colour of the cursor. Has anyone found an option to chage it's colour yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is almost impossible to see the brush/cursor It must be redesigned to make it standout and more visible and the ability to change the color of the cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an identical problem. I want to the cursor a color so I can see it when working. Why can't it be a color, instead of disapperaring into the object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a serious problem. I lose the cursor constantly. Infuriating and really slows me down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was the only one who was having problems seeing the cursor now.  Misery loves company I guess.  Now please Adobe, address the issue!!  Let us make the circle darker at least!  Something, anything!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the brush more often than any other tool in Photoshop, and it's almost unusable these days. As others have said, the 1x1 pixel outline is insanely thin for high res displays, and most of the time (not some of the time), I can't even see the cursor because there's just no contrast with the underlying colors/values. I have to be *extremely* precise in my work, and this issue causes many more hours per project and huge amounts of frustration. Frankly, I'd rather the PS engineers concentrate on fixing something like this instead of throwing more and more features into the app. FIX the core critical issues. I just don't see why the cursor outline can't automatically be the reverse of the underlying color. PLEASE fix it - it's now been years with this issue causing problems for everyone. Do the engineers have to 'eat their own dogfood' and actually *use* PS themselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no other application in Win10 has anywhere near the alt-key issues that Ps does. The worst part is that when I've asked about it, they say it's working as intended =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been reported to Adobe for at least three years now, and they absolutely refuse to do anything about it, concentrating instead on loads of 'cool new features'. Frankly, if you can't fix the core features that the majority of your customers use on a daily basis, you've failed. I'm not sure why Adobe hasn't addressed it, fixed it or even responded to its customers about this issue, but they've remained stubbornly silent. It's a core issue that affects several of the main tools in the app, and it only gets worse with higher res monitors. Frankly, I think this is an issue of engineers not being required to 'eat their own dog food', as we say in tech. They should be required to do basic, core functions on a daily basis, just like their customers. Obviously, that isn't happening, otherwise they'd be as frustrated as we are and they'd fix the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry

I appreciate your saying this ... a year ago ... but new versions have been released, with all of the energy on 'cool new features', which core functionality bugs have remained unaddressed. I worked in the tech sector in software and mobile app design for many years, and if something as critical as this was broken, we'd slow down the implementation of new features to put a team on fixing something that is such a huge pain point for our customers. I'm not saying don't do great new things (I know, we live or die by continuing to iterate and innovate), but ... c'mon. Are your engineers even required to sit down and perform these basic functions on a daily basis? They should. I assume they have the best high res monitors, so they *have* to see this bug and should be as frustrated as the rest of us. My work is so frustrating to do these days, and it used to be a joy. All because *I can't see the cursor most of the time*.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just making the cursor outline thicker - it's about it providing contrast to the background colors and values. The problem is that it completely disappears when over midtones, which is usually the majority of a canvas. So the solution would be for it to reverse the color of what's underneath, not just be either black or white. But all of Adobe's engineers seem to be working on new tools, not fixing critical core functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think Adobe will not fix it.  I just have to press command constantly to find out where the cursor is. I told them about this problem years ago when the cursor first became invisible, sent video showing the difficulty.  Crickets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They said a year ago they were working on it.  I complained about it, with video, years ago.  Crickets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that they read this forum unfortunately. We may have better luck posting to their Twitter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG the brush curser is a serious issue. It has been an issue for over a year! FIX IT. I don't want new "stuff", PLEASE fix what you have so it works. I'm totally frustrated. Make the brush curser so I can see it when working on different colors. It disappears! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are aware of cases that a brush icon can be difficult to see.

Making it stand out more strongly would be very useful and we are evaluating solutions for all the platforms we support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting here - at least we know Adobe is listening (sort of). While it's great that you are looking at solutions, it seems to be taking forever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It blends in with what you are doing and there is no contrast so you can't see it at all. 

So glad I'm not the only one that has noticed this. It is making so difficult to use. Have to guess a lot of the time and hope you are where you want to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
This is the only useful tip I have found on the entire subject. 

Votes

Translate

Translate