Brush Cursor Disappeared

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updated to OS Sierra, for some odd reason the brush cursor in Photoshop has stopped showing up. It functions (I can paint with it), but I can't see it. At all. I see the results of using it, but not the thing itself. No, my caps lock is NOT on. I've tried toggling it on and off just to play with it, but no matter what I do the cursor doesn't show. No matter what preference I select, it doesn't show. It flickers briefly if I zoom in and out, but it doesn't stick around. I'm using an iMac, all standard stuff it came with, Apple keyboard, no tablet...no reason for this that I can see. I haven't changed anything other than the OS update which I'll admit can be a huge deal. I can't figure out what broke and, more importantly, how do I fix it? It's impossible to do good work without being able to see the cursor.  Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just solved the problem by switching document mode to RGB ! Can't explain why, but the problem is only on CMYK files. Anyone else ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fix which I received from Ruchi at Adobe.

I am using Photoshop 2020 on a Wacom mobile studi pro 16 for reference. 

1. Open notepad

2. Type the following

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

3. Save as PSUserConfig.txt

4. The file needs to be placed into the correct folder. I could NOT save it directly to the correct folder while I had notepad open because the folder did not show up. In my case, I needed to press

Windows key + r (simultaneously) 

Type "appdata" (the reason for this was the "appdata" folder did not show up for me. If you experience a similar problem then you should be able to do step 1 above and type (missing folder name) with successful results).

The folders you need to click in order (also known as "the path") are as follows. 

1. From file explorer click on the left hand side, the disk with the operating system (almost always the C: Drive)

2. Click "Users"

3. Click "user name" (the profile name you created when setting up your device. Shows when you login to your device"

4. Click "appdata"

5. Click "roaming"

6. Click "Adobe Photoshop 2020" (its 2020 in my case but may be a different version depending on which one you own)

7. Click "Adobe Photoshop 2020 settings" (again, will mention your version in the file name)

8. Save the file here if you are saving directly from notepad or manualy click on the notepad folder and drag it into the folder. Be sure not to accidently highlight one of the folders at the top or it will place it into that folder. Drag it to the bottom of the list to be sure.

Finally, launch Adobe and hopefully you never need to deal with this problem again. If this doesn't work, I truly feel for you because nothing is more frustrating, but you can contact Adobe directly through a chat at the link here. Just copy paste this post and tell them it didn't work and they will have further solutions. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this did not work for me.  My brush never stops painting but is still invisible.  I had to remove it to get it to stop painting. 

I've tried this method, hard resets, going back to previous versions, messing with my power cable and resetting settings and none of it is working so far.  Will continue to try things and if something works I'll edit this post.

edit:  Turns out when my Windows updated it turned off "Show Cursor" within the Windows Ink settings.  It shows up fine now.  😄

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
ryder_s LATEST
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This DID work for me,
Cintiq Pro 24. + Dell 4k & Precision 7400 display. 

Thank you. Hopefully this doesn't happen again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shutdown and reboot fixed it for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. For no apparent reason the brush cursor vanishes. No, this is not a capslock problem. There is no crosshair, no indication of the cursor at all. If I shake the mouse the Apple cursor appears and grows and then vanishes again.  I can paint with it even though it's invisible.  If I hit caps lock I can see the crosshair. But if I turn off capslock it disappears again.  Once in a while it appears randomly. But if my cursor leaves the canvas or I click, it vanishes again.  Really does nseem like a bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines