• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Make the brush cursor easier to see (too thin, not enough contrast with some colors)

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In last updates I'm having problem seeing brush (paint and healing) cursor when working with colors similar to cursor grey (grey or brown midtones for expamle).

Sometimes cursor changes to white, but for very short time and very randomly.

So it's really hard to see where I'm just gonna paint or heal. It is really annoying and tiring.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

If you want to try the new Brush Cursor options in the  Photoshop (Beta) 

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.57.20 AM.png

How to use:

1. Create a text file
  2. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt
  3. In the Text file add this…

BrushTipOutlineStrokeWidth 3

(0-3) This Increases the brush cursor outline.
    0 is the default in the shipping version of Photoshop.
    This Beta is using 1 as a default.
    999602978d9r.png (Thank you Scott Valentine for making this graphic!

4. Save the file/Place the file in the Photoshop settings folder:

For Windows: \Users\[Use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

We are aware of cases that a brush icon can be difficult to see.

Making it stand out more strongly would be very useful and we are evaluating solutions for all the platforms we support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 427 Replies 427
427 Comments
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone?

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried contacting Apple to see if they can repro with that same exact hardware? Maybe it's a specific problem with your system's drivers/hardware. (What is your video adapter anyway for reference purposes here?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was hoping to solve it in PS but at this point i might have to contact Apple.

I have 2014 5K Imac with AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I've been doing. It does work, but is not ideal. We can change the color of all the guides, why not tool outlines too? Seems like a much better fix than having to work through a color filter all day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We really do need the option to change the color of the cursor, especially the healing brush tool. Thanks for the other ideas, they are helpful, but we really need to be able to change the cursor color when working with monochrome images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually find the caps lock is my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The outline of Brushes is defined to be 1black and 1 white pixel wide. This makes them barely visible when using a 5k iMac and hovering the brush over structures and patterns in different images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

I work only on B&W photos and it's a PITA dealing with the healing brush. Please allow us to change its color, or at least be able to switch to - say - solid red. Likewise for other tools (e.g., lasso).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sadly am suffering from this too. My eyes are now degrading by the day, I cannot believe Adobe has not allowed the simplest setting to allow users to control their cursor, size, outline and color. This issue is present in all 3 versions I have installed 2015, 2017 and 2019. So many new versions all the time, updates all the time but seldom do I ever see anything that's really new or useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have this problem too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a meeting with Adobe staff years ago about possible improvements to solve this very problem and they were, to put it mildly, unconcerned in the extreme about this problem. It left me feeling that they don't use their app for hours a day the way we do. I even suggested to them what I thought would be a wonderfully useful addition which is for them to have the cursor change to a contrasting color as it moves over an image. The stamp and healing tools both desperately need this. And yes, at this point, just being able to configure a color would be an enormous help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select spot healing tool. Hover over grey area where cursor is not visible. Press and hold space bar (do not click!). Cursor changes to hand and is easily visible. Move it to where you want. Release space bar then click to perform spot healing function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My round brush cursor becomes difficult, if not impossible, to see, especially against a background similar to the outline of the brush. I have gone through all the Photoshop cursor preferences, Control Panel mouse settings, and, yes, made sure I hadn't accidently hit the CAPS key.  So far, nothing has helped.  I have a new laptop with a 4k screen; I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue with various brushes in Ps. Using the latest 2020 version (it was happening with the 2019 as well). Working on a Microsoft Surface Book 2, Win 10 Pro.

Trying to work with brush tools at less than 100%, or 200% magnification, the edges of the brush are disappearing, or blending with the background. The result is that I can't see where I'm brushing accurately. This is happening with the Clone, Heal, Brush, any of them. 

Obviously I can zoom in, but don't always want to, or need to. I know it's not possible to adjust the thickness of the brush edge, like you can with a regular cursor. Is there something else that can be done to make brush edges more visible at below 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to make the Normal cursor in PS20/21 bolder - blacker - easier to see?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no setting in Photoshop that can do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I think there should be. A small thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

While you can't do it within Photoshop, if you are on a Mac you can change the cursor size in System Preferences > Accessibility. It will change the cursor size for all applications, not just Photoshop. I'm pretty sure Windows has the same thing. I think it's in the Control panel.

~ Jane

3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows 10, you can change the cursor size in Start > Settings > Ease of Access > Mouse.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Changing the cursor in W10 settings seems to have little if any effect on the Normal Brush cursor in Photoshop. The Normal brush cursor is difficult to see against many backgrounds when painting. I have a new laptop with a great OLED display and its even hard to see on that. A nuisance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I apologize. When you said “Normal cursor in PS20/21” in your original post, I took it to mean the Move tool, not the Brush cursor that you are now referring to. Does it help to change the settings in Preferences > Cursors and enable Full Brush Size Tip and Show Crosshairs in Brush tip or change any of the other settings you see there?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.  I should have been clearer. The only other brush cursor that works after a fashion is the Standard cursor - it is darker and clearer but does not show you exactly where your stroke is going to apply colour.  The other cursors are not much use for painting. The normal brush cursor is the best of the bunch but you have to put up with periods of its invisibilty when you apply colour over colour (which is often).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can post a feature request here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are your cursor preferences set?

Votes

Translate

Translate