• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush increase decrease shortcut

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I have this problem since an eternity. I cant increase or decrease my brush tool with [ or ]. I know it is possible with the mouse but I draw with my tablet, an UGEE (it has buttons to increase/decrease but it doesn't work either). And changing the shortcut doesn't work because every damn shortcut is already taken. the only free ones are ü, ö or ä but of course my tablet doesn't know this letters. So how to I get this shortcut to work?

...and I have a Win 10 Laptop, using a German keyboard.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Yes in Edit>Preferences>Tools>Vary Round Brush Hardness based on vertical HUD movement is unchecked, then the vertical movement changes Opacity.

hudd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi in Photoshop go for Preferences there you see how to edit shortcut...thanks

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts, see if assigning the modifiers "Ctrl" "Shift" or "Alt" helps.  Shift + z/x, for example, or use one of the F keys, F11/F12. If a shortcut is not being used, just assign the brush tool increase/decrease to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(CTRL, ALT or SHIFT) plus any key dont work with brush increase or decrease. I get an error if I try so, same goes for F keys or numpad keys... or certain signs like +.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it practical to change the keyboard layout in Windows to English while you are using the UGEE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if the shortcuts are already used you can override them and set whatever shortcuts you want for the brush size.

Another way to increase/decrease the brush size is to use the mouse plus Alt and drag left or right

Change brush size

Alt + right-click + drag left or right

Decrease/increase brush softness/hardness

Alt + right-click + drag up or down

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Decrease/increase brush softness/hardness  Alt + right-click + drag up or down.

In my Windows-10 PC  Ps 20.0.4

This command with the mouse changes 'opacity' (not softness/hardness)

ScreenShot372.jpg

A Right-click of the mouse  (without an option key) opens the Brush properties where I can change the slider,

but do you know if the shortcut [Alt + right-click + drag up or down] can be altered to change its action?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes in Edit>Preferences>Tools>Vary Round Brush Hardness based on vertical HUD movement is unchecked, then the vertical movement changes Opacity.

hudd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Good answer.

I need more time with Photoshop

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a same problem .. after chanting settings to Vary Round Brush... worked on my Mac .. Thanks for sharing ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I spent most of morning trying to get the control+option shortcut to increase/decrease brush size and opacity with HUD (onscreen) vertical and horizontal movements working again in Photoshop The above screenshot showing settings in Photoshop seemed to point in the right direction but I wasn't clear about the action to take was. When I finally unchecked the above indicated "vary round brush hardness based..." BINGO! the shortcut CTR+OPT work as it used to with verical and horizontal on screen (HUD) movements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!!!
My Alt + right-click + drag up or down works, but doesn´t show the red preview, just the black lined circle. Can you help me?ScreenShot599.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines