Highlighted

Brush is still painting grey even after creating a new file in RGB channels show RGB too

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read many of the guides to this issue and it is all about the mode, but my mode is on RGB, I created a new file in RGB but my brush still paints only different shades of grey when other colours are selected, please help. 

Topics

Bug, How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Brush is still painting grey even after creating a new file in RGB channels show RGB too

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read many of the guides to this issue and it is all about the mode, but my mode is on RGB, I created a new file in RGB but my brush still paints only different shades of grey when other colours are selected, please help. 

Topics

Bug, How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some other common reasons are:

• You are painting in a mask instead of the image
  • You are only showing one of the three color channels

If this doesn't help, please show a screen shot so we can better assist.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22 seconds late and you typed more than me Jane 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I was sure I checked these 2 as other threads having the same issues were asked to check the same, but I'm pretty positive this was not the case. As explained below, resetting preferences was a quick fix that I needed, but it doesn't explain or find the root problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What version of Photoshop do you have, can you post a screenshot with all the pertinent panels opened

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the 2020 version 20.2.2 on a mac catalina

I can't produce screenshots at the moment as I've managed to solve the issue without finding out the problem. 

I believe it would help many if I had a little more patience, but I needed it fixed to finish some work I was in the midst of. 

But in short, I reset preferences in photoshop, steps as follows: 
CMD+K (or Click > Photoshop > Preferences > General)

Click > "Reset Preferences On Quit"

Restart Photoshop and it's back to normal

Some of the things I noticed before I reset the preferences: 

- Even when I restarted Photoshop the problem persisted

- I created a new file in RGB but it didn't work

- I only had the default background layer and there was no mask so it wasn't a layer mask issue

- There were no paths

- In channels, RGB was highlighted with the others and all 3 colours are showing, so it wasn't a channels thing either

Super frustrating, and I obviously was not the only one facing this issue, must be common amongst newbies like myself but maybe it was something I clicked or accidentally hit a keyboard shortcut i'm not familiar with. Just couldn't figure it out. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
jane-e LATEST
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it happens again, post a screen shot with the options bar and any pertinent panels. We can often spot the issue when we have a visual.

When a tool doesn't work as expected, it can be reset by right-clicking the tool in the options bar (not Tools panel). The options for tools are sticky, so they won't change when you start a new file or quit and relaunch. You have to change the setting manually or reset the tool. That's another possibility.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0