Highlighted

Brush not working in Overlay mode

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using Photoshop cc 2021. I am working on a black and white and trying to use the brush in overlay mode at 100%.  Painting in white to eliminate the black, without affecting the white,  in order to create a mask. It is not dong anything!  Can you help?  I'm on a MAC. Thanks.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Brush not working in Overlay mode

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using Photoshop cc 2021. I am working on a black and white and trying to use the brush in overlay mode at 100%.  Painting in white to eliminate the black, without affecting the white,  in order to create a mask. It is not dong anything!  Can you help?  I'm on a MAC. Thanks.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Painting with white in overlay mode will turn grays to white, but will have no impact on 100% black.

Usually you would use this technique to refine the edge of a mask, where the transition from black to white is a little ragged. See here for an example:

http://www.tipsquirrel.com/refining-masks-with-overlay-blending/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I'm doing. My colors may just be too pure black and pure
white. Thanks for the tutorial. I'll keep trying!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0