Brush/pencil not working in Photoshop

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brush/pencil tool isn't working in Photoshop CS5...when I try and use it it just makes a dot and doesn't allow me to draw a continuous line...

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Trevor.Dennis | Adobe Community Professional

rossiam wrote:

I may have stumbled upon a solution.I was just fooling around with photoshop when suddenly my brushed tool stopped working.I just so happened to look down at my keyboard and noticed the caps lock button was on.I turned it off and my brush tool started working again.I hope this helps.

Just to clarify that, the annoying Caps Lock gotcha that I think every Photoshop® user falls foul of at least once, only affects the brush cursor (turning it into the cross hairs cursor) touching down and using the brush will still be fine.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this problem as well. Sometimes I do the workaround of going to a text edit doc, and back. Othertimes I use the Edit > Purge and it will work again but you lose all your histories, etc...

I'm on:

a Wacom Intuos

iMac 10.10.5

Photoshop CC

All up-to-date as of this posting. Please let us know when there is a solution, not a work around! Please!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

storylayerstudio wrote:

I'm still having this problem as well. Sometimes I do the workaround of going to a text edit doc, and back. Othertimes I use the Edit > Purge and it will work again but you lose all your histories, etc...

I'm on:

a Wacom Intuos

iMac 10.10.5

Photoshop CC

All up-to-date as of this posting. Please let us know when there is a solution, not a work around! Please!

I think it might be better if you started a new thread on your issue.  You are well down page 2 as I type this, and while I am sure people have viewed your post, it is unclear what your issue is because of the long and convoluted nature of this thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for posting this. I was having the same issues too and couldn't figure out why the brush wasn't working as a mask tool. I just figured out what my issue was so hopefully its the same for you. I went under brush settings and unchecking the spacing box under the "Brush Tip Shape" selection in the left column. Works like normal now!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been struggling with a similar issue. I followed the same path rszatko took. 
However, for me, the problem only corrected itself when I chose one of the default brushes, "hard round"

the problem then was solved. 

I would still like to know how I got into that bind to start with, but the problem is absolutely in the brushes. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a simular issue and my solution was to merge some layers, cause i guess there were too many or something

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines