Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush setting - sharp edges

Participant ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I ´d like to ask you, I am creating a digital illustration, usually I make a shape with pentool and then i am painting inside of it, but I ´d like to use brushes, i tried to change of the setting of the hard brush to make the sharp edges, not circles, when i am painting, but the result is that the object have very unsharp edges.

I made a one object with brushes and the second with the pen tool. There is a big difference.

Does exist some way how to solve this problem?

Thank you. 

screen hands.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to zoom enough here, but I'm wondering if, when you make your selection from your path, do you have antialiasing turned on in the Options bar? If not, that would soften the edges of your selection and allow for translucency at the edges of your selection. These would give you soft edges though - not like a shape from the pen tool, filled with color. The pen tool is using math to create your edges, and only shows it to you as pixels (because that's what Photoshop and your monitor understand).

If you DO have antialiasing on on your selection, after having made it from your path, then try using Select>Modify Selection>feather, and maybe feather your selection by one pixel. The amount will vary, based on the resolution of your image.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I make a smaller object, and I use this proccess, it looks good, the edges are really nicer :), thank you.

But I am trying to make a bigger object, and when I want to make bigger stroke, it is quite hard with brush,

I use smoothing, but it is so slowly, so I can not make a line as I would need. Is it possible to make this option faster?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Brush Settings, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What is the Brush’s Spacing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used two brushes, the first I tried a classic hard round brush, and made the new one from hard brush: shape dynamics - control pen presure, minimum diameter: from 16%, I tried various. Smoothing is turn on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Brush Settings, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HAND SC.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Brush Stroke was done with 1% spacing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I used the hard brush, the setting of spacing was 1%. 

I tried to use also smoothing, but the line was delayed, and very slowly, and to make continual line for the bigger object was impossible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all you can not paint on a shape layer. Shape layers are Fill layer with Vector Layer mask that are not displayed as Vector mask in the Layer pallet. Instead there is a shape icon in the bottom right of the layer's content thumbnail's in the layer palette. Shape layer are fill layers Empty, Solid color fill, Gradient fill or Pattern fill.   

You can paint on a pixels layer and add vector Layer mask.  The Pen tool can create Hard edge paths, You can add as vector layer mask. You need to show your Layer Palette so we can see what you have done.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice, it ´s useful when I will work with the pentool.

Does exist some way to make something similar with brushes? When I do not want to use pentool,

and i want to use only brushes. Because a lot of artistic works, i need to make with brushes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then you do not want to use shapes. You can use active selections to confine painting to be withe in am area and the selection can be feathered to create soft edges.  You can use the pen tool to create a vector path and you can stroke a path with a tool like a brush and simulate pressure. You can use layers and have line art above the painted image to add fine detail

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines