• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BRUSH SIZE SHORTCUT PROBLEM ON WINDOWS (NOT WITH MAC)

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am facing many issues concerning the brush size shortcut. I am using Windows 10 and with Wacom Intuos Pro.

I used to work with Mac and I was able to increase/decrease brush size and hardness with a simple shortcut ALT + dragging the pen right/left or up/down.

On Windows 10 this seems possible only by creating a shortcut for the Wacom pen (CTRL+ALT+RIGHT CLICK) in the Wacom Desktop Center's pen settings.

However, despite adapting to this, I am STILL unable to change the brush size when using filters such as Liquify as well and Camera Raw etc.

I am really looking forward to your help.

Thnak you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

I just fired up a Windows 10 laptop and my error above - for Liquify in Windows - Alt+Right-click to change size (no Ctrl key needed). Pressing the Ctrl key in Liquify (or Camera Raw) invokes the Zoom tool (same thing the Cmd key does on a Mac in Liquify and Camera Raw) which is why right clicking  while holding Ctrl brings up the Zoom contextual menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows INK is getting in the way of Wintab. See this thread for the answer. Follow the steps and your problem should be fixed.

FWIW you won't need that shortcut in the Wacom software. That is the default shortcut in Photoshop in Windows for changing brush size. The brush size shortcut is different in Windows and Mac. The default Mac shortcut is actually Ctrl+Opt+click-and-drag; the default Windows shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+Right-click-and-drag. (Drag right/left for size; up/down for hardness.)

You'll likely want to set the lower pen button to Right-click if you haven't already.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply.

I already tried this option with the text file.

I am able to change the brush size with the pen when using the Wacom shortcut and Ctrl+Alt+Right-click-and-drag with mouse.

However when I am using Filters (Liqify, Cqmerq Raw etc) this is not possible and it's very very frustrating.

Also I am unable to go back and forward when using these filters shortcut (Ctrl Z)

Nothing seems to work like it did with Mac. I have resetted my PS CC preferences.

Any advice ? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - In Camera Raw just Right-click and drag. No modifier key is needed. The other default shortcut should work in Liquify, it does on my Mac, but I'll try on a Windows system tomorrow where I used the previously mentioned text file fix. Did you delete that shortcut from your Wacom software and reboot before trying Ctrl+Alt+Right-click in Liquify?

Re: Ctrl-Z in Liquify, when you go to your Edit menu and choose Undo does that work? Ctrl+Z is indeed the Undo shortcut even in Liquify so it sounds like there is a conflict somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply !

So at the moment I still have the PSUserConfig.txt file in my Photoshop CC 2018 preferences settings folder.

I disabled the CTRL+ALT+RIGHT CLICK from my Wacom pen and left the RIGHT CLICK option in order to try with Camera Raw and Liquify filters.

I quitted and restarted both Photoshop and Wacom tablet.

RIGHT CLICK DRAG works with Camera Raw filter both with mouse and the pen

BUT

Liquify filter doesn't when pressing CTRL+ALT+RIGHT CLICK for example when using the Forward warp tool (W).

The brush doesn't resize neither with the pen nor with the mouse. It only gives a pop-up window of zoom - see image attached.zoom-problem.PNG

Concerning the CNTRL+Z undo problem, I think I resolved it by using the default shortcuts.

I had changed the undo CTRL+Z to CTRL+< and step forward/backward CTRL+ALT/SHIFT+Z to other shortcuts because of my AZERTY keyboard and because Photoshop's default shortcuts make some other annoying Windows 10 options popping up...

Is there a way to do new shortcuts for Photoshop on Windows 10 ? I used to do new shorcuts with Mac perfectly all the time...

Or am I obliged to use the defaults ?

Thanks again for your efforts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read this feed : https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2397131

The problem seems to be existing for many and some have been lucky in solving it with PSUserConfig.txt file...

It is frustrating that the problem has been here this long without any clear solutions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just fired up a Windows 10 laptop and my error above - for Liquify in Windows - Alt+Right-click to change size (no Ctrl key needed). Pressing the Ctrl key in Liquify (or Camera Raw) invokes the Zoom tool (same thing the Cmd key does on a Mac in Liquify and Camera Raw) which is why right clicking  while holding Ctrl brings up the Zoom contextual menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve Weinrebe !

ALT+RIGHT CLICK is the correct shortcut for the brush size in Liquify tool !

I just noticed that in Camera Raw I don't need to do the CTRL+RIGHT CLICK, simply RIGHT CLICK with the Wacom pen button (hover in the air) seems to do the job.

I am still having an issue with the UNDO/REDO shortcuts.

The default keys for undo/redo (CTRL+Z) and step forward/backward (ALT or SHIFT+CTRL+Z) is very tricky with AZERTY keyboard and it should be NORMAL to be able to change these keys so that they would work everywhere in Photoshop : both with Camera Raw and Liquify tool and so on !

I changed them to fit to my keyboard and saved them first on the pre-existing file which this didn't solve the problem, and then I saved them as a new file which didn't help either...

Is this simply a Windows 10 update problem or did anyone find a solution ?

Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and fixed it by changing the shortcuts in PhotoShop.

Decrease brush size: ù

Increase Brush Size: µ

I changed the keystrokes on my Wacom to reflect these new shortcuts and everything works as expected now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution! Apparently if you have more than one language on your keyboard ... you need to make sure that it's converted into English in order to be able to use the shortcuts, or else photoshop won't detect the new language's letters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've found the solution of brush size on Windows 10 Home which were coincidantely caused by Windows Ink(not sure which exactly the settings of this program caused this bug) while I was working in Photoshop 2020.

You need disabled Windows Ink.

Firstly, open Local Group Policy Editor using RUN (Windows + R). Type gpedit.msc.

For Windows 10 Home it doesn't open, so you need to download on your computer gpedit-enabler.bat   https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/add_gpedit_msc_with_powershell.html 

Right-click on gpedit-enabler.bat and click on Run as administrator. 
You will see text scroll by and close the Windows when completed.

After that you can open Local Group Policy Editor using RUN (Windows + R) and typing gpedit.msc;

Then, in Local Group Policy Editor navigate to: Computer Configuration ->Administrative Templates ->Windows Components ->Windows Ink Workspace.

In the right side pane, double-click Allow Windows Ink Workspace to open its properties.

Check the Enabled option. Next, select Disabled from the drop-down menu under Options section. 

Click on Apply and then OK. Restart your PC to make the changes to take effect.

Finally, brush size, hardness will be work correctly no matter what you use for it Wacom tablet, mouse or touchpad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines