• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush size wrong with high def display workaround.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Photoshop CS5, and recently got a new laptop (windows 10) that is a 4k screen.  As many people have experienced, my icons were too small to see with the new resolution.  I found a work around to this where you add a .manifest file to your program files, and this tells the software to display in a low def mode, making the icons their normal size.

The problem is, now the brush size is twice as big as the preview circle.  If I remove the .manifest file, the brush is the correct size, but then I can't see any of the icons.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old displays were manufactured with pixels that were close to 96ppi. Around  2000 it became possible to manufacture displays with much smaller pixels ppi resolution of 200ppi 300ppi and even 365 ppi could be manufactured.  Display manufactures still made desktop displays with low 100ppi resolution.  Where you could get a laptop with a 15" high resolution 4k Display you could  not buy a 15" desktop 4k display you could buy a 32' low resolution 4K  Display for your desk top.  IBM has long since discontinued marketing their 22" 16:10 4K Display 204ppi 3840x2400 pixel display.   I now use a Dell 24" 4k Display with a 185ppi resolution.  Old icons and test are usable but on the small side.

How is your Photoshop  Brush cursor option set?

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my preference setting.  I've tried both Normal Brush Tip and Full Size Brush Tip, both with the same result.  Appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With that setting if your brush hardness is set to a low percent and you have a pressure sensitive pen when you press hard the paint will exceed the brush cursor size. Try using the setting I posted. Full Size Brush tip... Set hardness to 100%.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my original thought as well, but unfortunately, my brush is already at 100% hardness.  And I'm not using a tablet, just a mouse.  Going to Full Size Brush Tip doesn't help either.

I think it has something to do with the work around for the high resolution monitor.  When I remove that .manifest file (and go back to tiny icons) the brush size and preview circle size are identical.  So clearly something about the work around is causing me issues!

Very much appreciate your thoughts!  At least I know my first steps in troubleshooting were logical!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aw man, 3 years on and still no answer 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines