• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush strokes jagged, not smooth, even with smoothing enabled. Unsure how to fix

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I've run into an issue with Photoshop cc when painting or drawing. No matter which brush I use, these jagged bumps stick out of my smooth lines, most notably when drawing diagonally. It looks as though small squares are being printed behind the line, causing these sharp outcrops to appear. Zooming in or out helps a bit, but the image become very pixelated even on high res canvases. Does anyone know what this issue is or how to fix it?

Thanks

shit lines.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the pencil tool selected?

What is the blend mode of the brush (in the Options bar) and the layer's blend mode?

What is the brush spacing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the brush tool really is misbehaving, try resetting it (top left corner)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

woah, thanks. this actually worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryvened88061959  wrote

woah, thanks. this actually worked

We all HATE having to reset Preferences, but there is not much downside to resetting tools.  So I usually choose to reset ALL Tools when I have a relevant issue.

A wee pearl of wisdom I got from a Bert Monroy tutorial many years ago, was that when tools go weird on you, go check the Options bar, because that's likely to be where a forgotten setting is causing your grief.  Well resetting tools puts all those options back to their defaults in one go, plus it fixes weird settings in things like to clone tool panel etc.

Here you go.  Every one of those clone source panel settings that I have highlighted, will be remembered the next time you use the clone tool, and has the capacity to have you pulling your hair out.  Resetting all tools will put them all back to their default.  

A goo tip and sensible workflow might be that when you 'do' need to get funky with the clone tool, make your first step to select one of the other presets at the top of the panel, so when you are done, you can re-select the first preset and return to the defaults.  This might sound like a tangent, but it is all relevant to when tools go bad.  Sometimes it might be Photoshop has its knickers in a twist, but a lot of the time it is just as likely to be something you changed the last time you used that tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure I knew what to do at some point, but I had obviously forgotten. My brush (B) was the pencil, even though I don't remember using it. All's well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, not at my pc at the moment, so can't say what blending modes are used or layer blending, but my brush spacing from memory is 0%(or none, not sure of unit measurement) and i know I wasn't using the pen tool, only brush tool. Ill get the other info when I'm back home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines