Highlighted

Brush to erase anything beneath it before placing a new texture on top?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a complex issue which I'm not sure I'll be able to solve without coding a plug-in for photoshop.

I am recreating the brush-set from the ancient, retro MacPaint application.

The below is a screenshot of the settings I've used to create my brush:

Brush Settings for one of the brushesBrush Settings for one of the brushes

Unfortunately, when the patterns overlap one another in testing, they're often likely to get more opaque, and each texture loses its unique shapeOverlapping texture in my brushsetOverlapping texture in my brushset

I have two ideas which I'm not sure are possible:

1. That the brush-strokes somehow exclude one another
  2. That the white in the texture, remains visible and opaque as white (Of course, this would require the user to set the blending mode of their layers to multiply or something, to change the background colour of their document to anything but white.)

What do we think? Any way I could achieve this?

Topics

Actions and scripting, How to, Mac, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Brush to erase anything beneath it before placing a new texture on top?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a complex issue which I'm not sure I'll be able to solve without coding a plug-in for photoshop.

I am recreating the brush-set from the ancient, retro MacPaint application.

The below is a screenshot of the settings I've used to create my brush:

Brush Settings for one of the brushesBrush Settings for one of the brushes

Unfortunately, when the patterns overlap one another in testing, they're often likely to get more opaque, and each texture loses its unique shapeOverlapping texture in my brushsetOverlapping texture in my brushset

I have two ideas which I'm not sure are possible:

1. That the brush-strokes somehow exclude one another
  2. That the white in the texture, remains visible and opaque as white (Of course, this would require the user to set the blending mode of their layers to multiply or something, to change the background colour of their document to anything but white.)

What do we think? Any way I could achieve this?

Topics

Actions and scripting, How to, Mac, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 15, 2020 0
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't the "erasing" part simply a side-effect of those brushes not being transparent to begin with? If those patterns are really all you want, why not simply create them in black & white with opaque brushes and then colorize them later?

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0