Highlighted

Brush will switch to Eraser on it's own

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately this started happening, I don't know why, maybe because I updated PS?

I would be drawing and then I press 'E' to switch to Eraser and erase a line, then back to press 'B' for the drawing brush, and draw again, I will lift the pen from my wacom tablet after that line is drawn and it switches back to Eraser on it's own.
This makes it so when I'm working fast, I erase when I mean to draw and vice versa.
It doesn't happen all the time and it seems to happen more when I'm switching fast between eraser and brush and also when I change the eraser or brush size (with my custom shortcuts 'W' and 'Q', although I reckon it isn't because of the custom shortcuts as I had been using them before, forever, without any trouble.)
Any ideas? As this happened to anyone before?

Things I've tried for a fix and didn't work:
- Reset photoshop preferences
- Reset all brushes
- Uninstall/Reinstall Photoshop
- Reinstall wacom drivers
- Updating Windows and all other PC drivers
- Re-saving the brushes I'm using without the 'Include tool Settings'

Update:

Upon research, I found this is the problem: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/turn-off-toggling-between-tools

Spring-Loaded Hotkeys.

Any advice on how to turn this bug feature off?

Update 2:

The main prob is that it recognizes my W and Q custom hotkeys for increasing and decreasing brush size to alternate between brush and eraser. So if I really want to make the brush go big or very small, I keep the key pressed and it happens, normally it wouldn't, I suppose it's picking up after the PS update. But yeah, the feature/bug exists

Update 3:

Found a solution, reverting back to an older version of Photoshop got rid of the issue, good job on yet another amazing update Adobe! /s

Found a solution, reverting back to an older version of Photoshop got rid of the issue, good job on yet another amazing update Adobe! /s

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Brush will switch to Eraser on it's own

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately this started happening, I don't know why, maybe because I updated PS?

I would be drawing and then I press 'E' to switch to Eraser and erase a line, then back to press 'B' for the drawing brush, and draw again, I will lift the pen from my wacom tablet after that line is drawn and it switches back to Eraser on it's own.
This makes it so when I'm working fast, I erase when I mean to draw and vice versa.
It doesn't happen all the time and it seems to happen more when I'm switching fast between eraser and brush and also when I change the eraser or brush size (with my custom shortcuts 'W' and 'Q', although I reckon it isn't because of the custom shortcuts as I had been using them before, forever, without any trouble.)
Any ideas? As this happened to anyone before?

Things I've tried for a fix and didn't work:
- Reset photoshop preferences
- Reset all brushes
- Uninstall/Reinstall Photoshop
- Reinstall wacom drivers
- Updating Windows and all other PC drivers
- Re-saving the brushes I'm using without the 'Include tool Settings'

Update:

Upon research, I found this is the problem: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/turn-off-toggling-between-tools

Spring-Loaded Hotkeys.

Update 2:

The main prob is that it recognizes my W and Q custom hotkeys for increasing and decreasing brush size to alternate between brush and eraser. So if I really want to make the brush go big or very small, I keep the key pressed and it happens, normally it wouldn't, I suppose it's picking up after the PS update. But yeah, the feature/bug exists

Update 3:

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 27, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spring-Loaded Hotkeys.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your not already aware, photoshop 2020 has a new keyboard shortcut so one can use the Brush Tool as both a brush and eraser.

Paint and erase with the same brush

Use the ~ tilde key (below the escape or Esc key) to toggle between painting and erasing with the same brush tip.

Under New Shortcuts

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, however that's irrelevant to the topic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 1
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that means you don't need to use the Tool shortcuts that are causing the problem.

What version of photoshop did you go back to that doesn't have the issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the very same shortcuts I had been using for years, 'W' and 'Q' to decrease and increase brush sizes, it has been working flawlessly, until the latest version of Photoshop was installed, and would then recognize both these custom keyboard shortcuts as a brush and would then do the tilde alternation between eraser and brush.

I had already explained this above though, hence why I said the explaining the feature was irrelevant, it isn't a feature problem, it's the new update that's recognizing the Increase/Decrease brush size tools as a brush, hence if you press these W or Q keys for too long, it'll alternate between eraser and brush, which is uncalled for, as all I want is to increase/decrease brush size for the brush that is selected, not change to eraser. Either way, it's working fine now that I reverted back to an older update. I reverted to the 20.0.9, which makes me think I shouldn't have bothered to update at all, besides not having this bug, it's also much faster on startup. Makes me wonder what kind of 'update' the following had been, since they were most definitely not performance ones.
Thanks though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 1
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can report the issue over here where adobe wants users to write up bugs.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 0