• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brushes lose pressure sensitivity when I leave and return to Photoshop [OSX 11.2.1]

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paint regularly with Photoshop brushes using my Wacom Cintiq tablet, but when I leave Photoshop and click on, say, InDesign, and return to Photoshop, my Photoshop brushes have no pressure sensitivity. I have to click my mouse somewhere in Photoshop before pressure sensitivity begins to work again and I can use my Cintiq. 

This isn't crisis but it's certainly an annoying, chronic interruption to my workflow that I've been experiencing for years through many iterations of Photoshop and Wacom software. Any help resoving it would be much appreciated. 

I'm using a Wacom Cintiq 22HD in Photoshop CC2021 v22.2 on a 2019 iMac running Big Sur 11.2.1.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that when coming back to Photoshop and using the Wacom pen with a pressure affects size preset, it does not work when you first touch pen to the screen?  With Windows the Wacom driver does not know a pen is being used until the pen touches the screen, but after that it maiontains its relationship with the pen for as long as Photoshop is open, and that's regardless of other apps being used.

You mention using the mouse rather than the pen.  Are you saying that pressure sensitivity with the pen does not work unless you use the mouse inside the document window?   Can you be very specific please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Trevor,

If I click into Photoshop using the Wacom tablet, I don't have pressure sensitivity until I click somewhere with the mouse in the document window. 

In my workflow I typically use the Wacom instead of the mouse when I interact with all of my different applications, so it's frustrating to have to switch back and forth between the Wacom pen and the mouse to get the pressure sensitivity back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a constant problem, not just when I first open Photoshop.  Every time I leave and return to Photoshop I have to click the mouse to return pressure sensitivity,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remembering that I am using Widows 10, when I open Photoshop and even with a Pressure Affects Siz brush preset, the Brush panels both show no taper.  As you'd expect, if I daw with the mouse I get a parallel brush stroke.

image.png

But if I draw with the Wacom pen, even though the preset still doesn't show as tapered, pen pressure works as it should.  The Brish panel does not show a tapered stroke until the second pen touch down.

image.png

If I use the mouse — whether it be inside Photoshop or another app, the Brush Panel reverts to showing a parallel stroke, but the pen always works as it should from the first stroke.  Are you saying that when you use the mouse and then the pen, Pressure sensitivity does not work right away?

If yes, it could be an OSX thing, especially with Big Sur.  I'll edit the Subject Line to indicate your OS version, and go look if there is an issues with Big Sur help page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I leave Photoshop and return to it, pressure sensitivity stops working. The only way I can get the pressure sensitivity working is to click somewhere with the mouse. The brushes panel preview shows the tapered stroke, but it doesn't work correctly when I draw on the canvas.

Now that I'm experimenting, trying to re-create the conditions that make pressure sensitivity stop working, it seems that I can move between applications with the Wacom pen and click in various places. When I return to Photoshop then, the sensitivity works with the pen and I don't need to click the mouse. However, when I use the Bluetooth Apple keyboard in another application, like e-mail, pressure sensitivity stops working in Photoshop and I need to click the mouse to get it to return.

Like I said before, this has been a chronic problem for me across multiple versions of Mac operating systems and multiple versions of Photoshop. Previously the sensitivity loss was less frequent (still associated with leaving and returning to Photoshop), but now it happens every time.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines