Highlighted

Brushes panel incredibly slow, and other issues with the new brush system

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new brush system is great.  Tons of control, and hundreds (thousands?) of brushes available.  But, the brushes panel is ruining it for me.

If there are more than a couple brushes visible, dragging the brush panel up and down moves at 3 FPS.  It's faster if I turn the brush stroke display off, but that's not very helpful.  Scrolling with the scroll wheel seems to try to scroll smoothly, even though I have that turned off everywhere, so that's also migraine-inducingly slow.  Turn the mousewheel, wait for several seconds as it scrolls a few pixels at a time bit by bit, repeat.

Also, it's such a pain to organize brushes that I like.  I'd think you could just right click and check a "favorite brush" and have it show up in its own group.  But I have to copy the brush name, select "New Brush Preset", paste the name in so it doesn't use some random name, then (the worst part) painstakingly drag the new copy of the brush into my favorites group, which can take 15+ seconds.  The preset manager can move brushes much more quickly, but it doesn't auto-select the current brush, so if I use it I have to dig through the massive list to find the new brush.  The recent brush list seems pointless, they all look the same.

The brushes also seem only half-integrated.  You have to go to a random page (which I only just recently found out about, googling for "photoshop brushes" gets nowhere), download a bunch of individual files, unzip some of them, and install them manually.  I can install FontKit fonts with one click and they just appear in Photoshop automatically.  By comparison, the brush system feels like a second-class citizen.

The slow panel is the big one, though.  Is it this slow for everyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Brushes panel incredibly slow, and other issues with the new brush system

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new brush system is great.  Tons of control, and hundreds (thousands?) of brushes available.  But, the brushes panel is ruining it for me.

If there are more than a couple brushes visible, dragging the brush panel up and down moves at 3 FPS.  It's faster if I turn the brush stroke display off, but that's not very helpful.  Scrolling with the scroll wheel seems to try to scroll smoothly, even though I have that turned off everywhere, so that's also migraine-inducingly slow.  Turn the mousewheel, wait for several seconds as it scrolls a few pixels at a time bit by bit, repeat.

Also, it's such a pain to organize brushes that I like.  I'd think you could just right click and check a "favorite brush" and have it show up in its own group.  But I have to copy the brush name, select "New Brush Preset", paste the name in so it doesn't use some random name, then (the worst part) painstakingly drag the new copy of the brush into my favorites group, which can take 15+ seconds.  The preset manager can move brushes much more quickly, but it doesn't auto-select the current brush, so if I use it I have to dig through the massive list to find the new brush.  The recent brush list seems pointless, they all look the same.

The brushes also seem only half-integrated.  You have to go to a random page (which I only just recently found out about, googling for "photoshop brushes" gets nowhere), download a bunch of individual files, unzip some of them, and install them manually.  I can install FontKit fonts with one click and they just appear in Photoshop automatically.  By comparison, the brush system feels like a second-class citizen.

The slow panel is the big one, though.  Is it this slow for everyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess this is what I get for saying "why isn't it like TypeKit" (or "FontKit"(sic), oops): I accidentally clicked the "go to typekit website" button when I wanted to filter fonts by typekit, Photoshop launches a Chrome window, and then freezes and I have to kill it.  That's when I learned that Photoshop doesn't actually save any brushes you create until the application is closed, so it lost several hours of hunting through the hundreds of brushes (at 3 FPS) and painstakingly copying the ones I like into a separate group, since it didn't bother to actually save any of it.

This stuff kills all enthusiasm for the new brushes.  It feels like Mr. Kyle has done an incredible amount of work on them, but the engineering and UI side hasn't kept up...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having this issue for a few years as well. Its the only thing slowing me down in photoshop at the moment, I would really like to find a solution to this also. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines